Review by Raya raymond -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Review by Raya raymond -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Raya raymond »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Romance, lust and the need for vengeance can drive people to the darkest of paths.

Rafe and Anna are still struggling with the nightmares of their past. They’re still a couple and the love each other more than ever. Nightmares have become frequent and almost their new normal. They are still deciding whether to seek revenge against their oppressors, or move on with their lives.

In Heartaches 2, Anna gets some closure regarding her rape by her ex-boyfriend Matt and his family. The fact that it was her own boyfriend who had arranged the rape and taken part in it himself, was one of the most hurtful things from the incidence for Anna. He had played her all along; just so that he could lure her in and his family would have her; or so she thought. In this book, Anna learns that it wasn’t exactly Matt’s fault. Of course he had raped her and there was no justification for that whatsoever, but he was as much a victim as Anna in the situation. There are also other surprising discoveries like Rafe being a Preston.

The couple has even more problems to solve as aunt Bella, oblivious of the monster that he is, is getting married to Preston. Anna and Rafe along with their friends have to stop this madness. They have to save aunt Bella before she commits herself to an eternity of misery. The couple and their friends devise a plan that will expose the Prestons for what they really are. Their plan is to let aunt Bella see the kind of man she’s in love with. As the plan is devised Anna has a bad feeling about it, and is not entirely sure she should do it. It’s far out of her comfort zone but she has to change if she wants revenge. Will she change?

I have always loved Irwing’s unique style of writing, and Heartaches 2 isn’t any different. The story has a great flow, it’s very captivating and well written. I love that the book stands on its own and you can actually read it and understand, without having to have read the first book. Irwing’s way of defending gay rights through Pat, who’s Anna’s best friend is commendable.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I love the story line I however don’t love Rafe’s and Anna’s kind of romance. I don’t think it’s brought out as well as it should be, and I think it isn’t a healthy kind of romance. I understand the anomalies in this particular kind of love story; since there’s a lot of pain involved, but I still think that since the book is romance the writer should have paid more attention to their relationship, and try to describe it in a way that people can relate with. I recommend this book to any romance lover and for those who love erotic books, this is a book I think you’ll enjoy. However, this book is strictly meant for a mature audience. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone that doesn’t fit that description.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Raya raymond's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Loved your review Raya! I'm surprised not many other reviewers found the relationship in this book to be unhealthy. And now that you point it out, I'm even more surprised that this book is well-loved. I would never love a book portraying a toxic relationship. Thank you for your review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

Very in-depth review. I'm intrigued as to the fact that the characters back-stories and traumas were explained in depth, and did not detract from the story. Yet it seems that the unhealthy relationship detracts from the story.
I recently reviewed a sci-fi novel from the same author, which also had the character experiencing emotional trauma of rape. I was interested to find that it seems to have been portrayed very differently in the romance novel than in the sci-fi novel (where the emotional turmoil was never explained at all). I think it would have been nice to have it explained as it was in this novel.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I have reviewed this book and do agree with you that people shouldn't bond because of pain. I appreciate your view.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I agree with your point on Rafe and Anna's romance not being healthy. The erotic scenes in this book were just too much, with less focus on the actual story. I prefer the final book in the series.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I've read reviews of these books before and I'm just not sure. I am currently reading a book from the same author. It seems ok so I might take the risk. Now do you recommend reading the first book first or can you easily read either one of them? Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

The romance in this story was suppressed.The author paid too much attention on their pain.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I have heard a lot about rape cases.No one should be made to go through that.I think I understand the author's intention for writing this book.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 09:42 I've read reviews of these books before and I'm just not sure. I am currently reading a book from the same author. It seems ok so I might take the risk. Now do you recommend reading the first book first or can you easily read either one of them? Thanks for the review!
I'm currently reading this book, and haven't read the first. This one seems to stand on its own, and any backstory is woven through fairly seamlessly.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”