Review by Kemunto lucy -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At twelve years old, I could barely write a sensible creative composition. Caleb J. Boyer writes his first book when he is twelve years old. Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants, a young adult fiction novel, was written by Boyer when he was only twelve. The book is published by Lasting Press and has 212 standard pages.

Two best friends, Matthew and Ryan, one day wake up and find themselves stranded in a mysterious island. They don't know where they are. They have no food, water or shelter. They have to find a way to survive in this strange place. In their search for food and water, they face many challenges, some terrifying while others entertaining. They overcome one challenge after the other, and solve different mysteries in four places. Being alone in this mysterious place makes them understand each other more. They realize that, for them to overcome the challenges, they must stick together. They don't seem to remember where they came from. Will they be able to go back home? Or are they doomed in this wilderness?

The story is based on the imagination of a 12-year-old author. I loved and admired Boyer's aspirations. The plot of this book is tight and simple. The plot is fast-paced. The description of events and things is detailed and vivid. The vocabulary used is simple for teens to understand. The vocabulary is also appropriate for preteens and teens.

Teamwork is a theme that teens and preteens can relate with. Matthew and Ryan work together in order to face the challenges that come their way, even though they don't get along some of the times. It reaches a point where they realize that, unless they work together, they will be doomed.

This book has most merits which include, professional editing and good planning. The author has done an amazing job in making the book attractive. I was hooked to the book till the end. There was never a dull moment, I must say. What I didn't like was the ending. I didn't not find it well done. Or maybe it was intentionally done for deep thinking.

Young readers will be impressed by Boyer's work because, it is written by someone close to their age. I recommend it to anyone who seeks to read some adventure. The book is a fun read with so much inspiration. It also teaches about decision making and letting the people around us help where need be. With more experience, Boyer will be the best.

All said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves a perfect rating because, I didn't not find any punctuation and grammatical errors therefore, I felt like it was professionally edited. The storyline is so creative, not forgetting that it is based on the imagination of a twelve year old. This is the best easy read I have read in a long time.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Having been written by a twelve-year-old, I think this is quite impressive. I enjoyed your thorough and eye-opening analysis. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:30 Having been written by a twelve-year-old, I think this is quite impressive. I enjoyed your thorough and eye-opening analysis. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks for your feedback.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”