Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Gringo

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Dear Readers!

I would very much appreciate if you all sit back comfortably and listen to this great story. This story talks about a man name Dan "Tito" Davis, who exposed himself in all the wrong corners in life. Tito explains in detail about the situation when people become desperate about poverty, and befriends the wrong sort. Now, I know it may sound like a random story to you, but after I told you everything you will start to appreciate this man for his honesty.

It all began when Dan was a kid. He spoke of the harsh conditions that he faced in his childhood, and how he wound up as a Jockey in horse racing. He explains how his friends exposed him to drugs, and how the top college students used meth to score in exams. Dan talks about how he fell out of university to earn money through drugs, his failed first marriage, lost son, how he wound up in prison for 102 months, second marriage and how he escaped to Latin America. His life in Latin America is where his journey began as an international fugitive.

Tito is the most amazing character that I have ever met. He has a lively personality, but I admire him for telling the truth. Even though we are completely different from each other, I found him to be a man with social life and experience. He was descriptive about drugs and his sentence in prison. I was 100% hooked-up from the start, and I always felt I was a constant companion throughout all his troubles and sprees in his life.

The narrator of Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is Peter Conti, who relates every part of this story through the eyes of Tito. I felt like I was listening to a story-teller. I found myself caught up with every emotional wave that hit Tito. There were times that I felt sorry for him, and there were time times I reacted, are you crazy!

Putting this read together, it consists of 16 chapters, a prologue, an author's note, an endnotes, and an acknowledgement by the author including a photo taken with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, which was impressive. Gringo means a foreign person in Latin America. Tito explains how he started to write his story with the help of Peter Conti, and Peter explains his first-hand experience and opinion about Tito. The ending noted on a cliff-hanger which pissed me off. I had a lot of questions in my mind, and I had a huge urge to know what happens next.

At first, I found the layout of this plot rather disturbing. I noted a certain lack of clarity and direction at the beginning of this plot which later subdued. There were hilarious and bizarre moments in this read such as Tito's bus trip in Guatemala, during which a baby pig disguised as an infant had pissed on him.

This read introduces different cultures in Latin America and Asia which were mysterious and alarming. I found certain colloquial vocabulary used such as tighty-whities. I believe a thorough proofread would be useful since there were grammatical and sentence structure errors available. I wish to rate Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive a 4 out of 4 stars since it was an unbelievable life story filled with bizarre experiences and most importantly, I do not wish to hold the grammatical and sentence structure errors against this read. So my dear readers, thank you for listening, and I hope you found this read as delightful as I have.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Awesome book!!! I also read and reviewed this book. Your review is quite enlightening and I appreciate your work.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Sahani Nimandra

Sunnyroyish wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 05:05 Awesome book!!! I also read and reviewed this book. Your review is quite enlightening and I appreciate your work.
Thank you for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Gosh, this looks like a Marmite book, you either love it or hate it. I’ve seen reviews that are quite negative, but you obviously got a lot out of it. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sahani Nimandra

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 05:18 Gosh, this looks like a Marmite book, you either love it or hate it. I’ve seen reviews that are quite negative, but you obviously got a lot out of it. Great review.
Thank you so much! If you are a person who love true stories related to a person's bizarre experiences then this is certainly a book for you.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like the gringo has had an eccentric lifestyle. The part of the baby pig passing as an infant is totally surreal. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra

Yolimari wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 06:08 Sounds like the gringo has had an eccentric lifestyle. The part of the baby pig passing as an infant is totally surreal. Thanks for the review!
Ha yes, yes, that's only one time of bizarre fun from Latin America. Thank you for commenting!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

This sounds like an awesome book; I can tell you really enjoyed it! Thanks for your informative review :)
Sahani Nimandra

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 10:07 This sounds like an awesome book; I can tell you really enjoyed it! Thanks for your informative review :)
Thank you for commenting, I'm glad you found it resourceful.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've read a few books like this and it is interesting to see how the mind of a criminal works and sometimes how they try to improve their lives. Also, the pig thing sounds funny.
Sahani Nimandra

teacherjh wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 17:47 I've read a few books like this and it is interesting to see how the mind of a criminal works and sometimes how they try to improve their lives. Also, the pig thing sounds funny.
Thanks for the valid point, and yes, there were bizarre events enough to throw you off laughing.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I enjoyed reading your review. You wrote that the author was a good storyteller and that you were caught up emotionally with the character. I also find it interesting that even though he got caught up in drugs and went to prison, you could enjoy reading about his experiences. I didn't think I would like this book, but after your review, it sounds like it may be worth reading after all.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Excellent review! I always enjoy an honest review that lets me know exactly what to expect. I'm glad to see the characters were really good. I also hate when books end on a cliff-hanger if I'm not expecting it.
Sahani Nimandra

LV2R wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:41 I enjoyed reading your review. You wrote that the author was a good storyteller and that you were caught up emotionally with the character. I also find it interesting that even though he got caught up in drugs and went to prison, you could enjoy reading about his experiences. I didn't think I would like this book, but after your review, it sounds like it may be worth reading after all.
I can assure you that it is totally worth reading. The experience itself is awesome. Thank you for your review!
Sahani Nimandra

jessinikkip wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:57 Excellent review! I always enjoy an honest review that lets me know exactly what to expect. I'm glad to see the characters were really good. I also hate when books end on a cliff-hanger if I'm not expecting it.
Yes, that was the bad part. I want to know what he was doing now, where is he, and how his life is flowing. All I know is that he wrote a great book. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”