Review by sanjus -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money by Finn Bell is a highly engaging murder mystery. The entire plot revolves around the protagonist who is a police officer named as Bobby. The author tells this story from Bobby’s perspective. Numerous priests are found dead with some mysterious circumstances, and the protagonist is given the charge of this case to punish the guilty. The entire story finishes within a few days with everything going very fast as in an action movie. The protagonist gets a lot of help and guidance from another senior police officer with the name Pollo, especially in this case. Master and a disciple type of relationships exist between these two police officers. Pollo always tells Bobby about the demand of the police officer job and controlling emotion on duty.

The elaborate depictions of the encounters in between the antagonist and the protagonists give an experience of watching a movie made out of this story. The description of murder scenes in a fine detail makes it difficult to guess about the climax. Several dialogues regarding the criminal psychology give the ideas of the motive behind the crimes. Without giving any of the spoilers in the starting episodes, the plot is full of suspense. Until the last chapter, I could not guess about the real culprit.

I do not recommend this book for those who are very sensitive to the violence and blood and easily get disturbed. The book was very much captivating, and I enjoyed reading the entire book in one stretch. The author keeps the readers engaged by revealing the plot at a controlled pace at a proper time. I like the author’s effort to educate the reader about such motives such as a want of money, greed for more power, and revenge, which can trigger an individual to commit a crime. However, all the people are not the same because psychological factor also plays an important role. If an individual experience bullies for a long time, then there can be a possibility of that individual becoming a criminal.

I found a few repetitions of the phrases in the dialogues by different characters, which may appear weird to the reader. I feel that the author wanted to stress more on those points by repeating them. The reader should not take the scenes depicted in the book seriously and think about it repeatedly because they are imaginary and not real.

I did not find any significant formatting errors or grammatical errors, which gives a good flow while reading this book. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the quality work that is quite effective. I recommend this book to those who like an action-packed thriller.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I like that the book is easy to visualise and moves at a fast pace. However, I don't enjoy books with power, greed or revenge as the main theme. I will have to pass. Thank you for the helpful review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love action thrillers. This sounds like a great murder mystery. Thanks.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

The fact that you couldn't guess the ending until the last chapter has me interested. I may have to give this one a try! Thanks for your review.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Sounds like a very unique plot that I would love to read. Your review was thorough and very detailed, great job!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I like that you weren't able to predict the ending - those are the best types of books! Thanks for your review :)
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is good to know that this murder mystery kept you guessing until the very end on who was the culprit. It sounds like an action-packed story. Why is it called Pancake Money? Would the answer give away anything?
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

I like unpredictable action thriller it is my type thanks for the review though it's an interesting one.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I like your description of everything happening so fast that it feels like an action movie. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Great review :D
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! It sounds like a very well written murder mystery. I used to love reading murder mysteries but it always seemed random that the culprit in the end was the culprit. Or in other cases, I was able to guess quickly who to murder really was. But this book sounds like it will keep me guessing until the very end!
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I like the fact that it was well edited.However,I would love to know why the book as titled 'Pancake Money'.The title was a bit hilarious for me.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nma26 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 07:56 I like the fact that it was well edited.However,I would love to know why the book as titled 'Pancake Money'.The title was a bit hilarious for me.
It means money given by mother to her children to donate to church, some children donate and some children buy pancake from it and eat. Money given for charity is used to eat pancake. so pancake money
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Allyseria wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 06:13 Thank you for the review! It sounds like a very well written murder mystery. I used to love reading murder mysteries but it always seemed random that the culprit in the end was the culprit. Or in other cases, I was able to guess quickly who to murder really was. But this book sounds like it will keep me guessing until the very end!
Yes it is the art of the writer. thanks for reply
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Julie Green wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 04:20 I like your description of everything happening so fast that it feels like an action movie. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Great review :D
Yes sure you may enjoy it reading, do not think over the scenes seriously as it may be disturbing. take it lightly . Thanks for reply.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

LV2R wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 00:39 It is good to know that this murder mystery kept you guessing until the very end on who was the culprit. It sounds like an action-packed story. Why is it called Pancake Money? Would the answer give away anything?
It means money given by mother to her children to donate to church, some children donate and some children buy pancake from it and eat. Money given for charity is used to eat pancake. so pancake money

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”