Review by Lorieak -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorieak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorieak.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Lorieak -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Lorieak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socksis a picture book written and illustrated by Len Foley which, using rhyming text, thoroughly and delightfully describes the smell of the main character’s pile of unwashed socks. As a first grade teacher, I am always on the lookout for engaging read-aloud books to share with my students. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks uses humor to take the reader on a silly journey through the smelly sock pile. The author also provides some readily teachable moments along the way.

Understanding the basic parts of a book is an important skill for young students and beginning readers. One part of a book which is sometimes difficult to teach is the dedication. Authors often use the dedication to send private messages to important people in their lives. The reader is usually left wondering who the subjects of the dedication are and why the author chose them. Explaining all of this to young students can be somewhat unclear. However, the author dedicates his book to Becky and Sofia, whose, in Mr. Foley’s words, “never-ending pile of socks inspired this story.” While we still don’t know who Becky and Sofia are, teachers and students can discuss how writers are inspired to write and where ideas come from. Mr. Foley gives us a straight-forward example of a dedication that can be used for instruction.

Sigfried begins by drawing the reader into the idea that the book itself is smelly. He confesses to marking his place in the book with a piece of pizza, leaving a banana on another page, and dribbling peanut butter and jelly on yet another. Again, what rich discussion can be had by teachers, librarians, and young readers on the importance of keeping library books away from food and generally keeping books in good condition.

However bad his book smells, Sigfried believes the worst smells come from under his bed and the pile of unwashed socks that lurks there. Mr. Foley uses a multitude of adjectives to compare the smells to familiar but rotten foods and other stinky objects. The author/illustrator utilizes the combination of drawings and photos to capture the reader’s attention and help young readers comprehend the many comparisons.

On its face, through the rhyming words, humorous subject-matter and engaging illustrations, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is an enjoyable read-aloud to share with kids. Because the author also provides so many opportunities for classroom discussion on reading comprehension and writer’s craft, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lorieak's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Let me applaud you for this eye-opening review. Having reviewed this book myself, I admit that you have raised several important points. Being a first grade teacher gives you the advantage of seeing things first-hand, and bestows you with a broader horizon. Thanks for the enlightening review.
I would appreciate your taking the time to have a look at my review, if you'd like. Thanks. :tiphat:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”