Review by JanScott -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JanScott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janscott.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by JanScott -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by JanScott »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! By Len Foley

What a hoot! This funny little book will appeal to young and old alike, providing you’re not too squeamish! The story is aimed at the 3 to 7 years age group. I have three grandsons, ranging in ages from 2 to 9 and I am sure the 4-year-old and 9-year-old boys would really enjoy this crazy offbeat book. The artwork provided by author, Len Foley, was done using an iPad Pro and it is typically zany and exaggerated in style.

It is obvious that the author is an American, as he refers to nappies as diapers, jelly instead of jam (as us British types would say it) – he also refers to something called ‘sow lard’, which I’ve never come across before. Nevertheless, this quirky book is a quick entertaining read and it’s obvious the author thoroughly enjoyed producing it, as his enthusiasm bursts out of every page.

I read the book on my mobile phone as a pdf and also on tablet and laptop, the book works well across all formats. I particularly liked the font style that Ken Foley has used for his book to accompany the pictures and illustrations, it’s oddball and fits perfectly with the comic theme. Boys and girls love this type of book, especially with its text delivered in rhyme. It reminded me of some of the Julia Donaldson/Axel Sheffler rhyming stories, as well as the nonsense of Dr. Seuss. It has an almost Roald Dahl-esque nature, which is apparent in the drawings and flow of the story.

Our hero, Sigfried, is a portly young lad who can’t figure out what it is that makes his book so stinky. He proceeds to examine a range of obnoxious foul-smelling things we’ve all come across at one time or another in our lives. From rotten banana peels, to ‘squish-mushed’ chewing gum, even the stink of yellow doggy pee … yep, it’s all in there, folks! So, hold your noses and laugh along with your child as you discover how Sigfried decides to sort out his smelly socks situation.

I found this book colourful – both in literary concept and presentation. Len Foley’s rhyming language does not come across as forced and the book is a comical entertaining read for any child (or young-at-heart adult) who enjoys a silly, slightly offbeat story with a hint of grossness thrown in for good measure. I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars, due to the fact that the subject matter might not be everyone’s cup of tea. It has a irreverent silly attitude and I think the clever use of original design and artwork make this a fun and slightly obnoxious book that doesn’t take itself too seriously and neither should the reader!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JanScott's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a thorough and charming review! Having reviewed Sigfried's Smelly Socks myself, I can relate to several points you have raised.
I'd love it if you could have a look at my review. Thanks.😊
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846
JanScott
Currently Reading:

Post by JanScott »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 10:19 What a thorough and charming review! Having reviewed Sigfried's Smelly Socks myself, I can relate to several points you have raised.
I'd love it if you could have a look at my review. Thanks.😊
Thank you very much Ruba, I will definitely check yours out too - have a lovely day.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I love your review. Sigfried is just a weird little fellow.
JanScott
Currently Reading:

Post by JanScott »

Thanks very much Raya!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”