Review by Kendra M Parker -- World, Incorporated

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Kendra M Parker -- World, Incorporated

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Agent Sliver is a highly trained secret operative for one of the ruling super corporations in the book World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo. In the not-so-distant future, the U.S. government has reached a state of constant deadlock. When that results in the loss of confidence of the American people, the super corporations step in to assume that role of government for the people. Agent Sliver acts as the secret hand of the CEO of the super corporation World, Inc. When one of Agent Sliver’s assignments produces an unexpected variable in the form of a young woman named Kelly, he decides to keep her alive and take her under his wing to protect her.

World, Incorporated definitely falls into the near-future dystopian fiction genre. Due to the nature of the setting and thematic elements, I would classify it as a sort of economic thriller as well. The author spent a good bit of time creating news articles for the book to help show the progression and history that created the setting of the book. These articles and fictional history create a very believable world for these characters.

I also appreciate that the main character, Agent Sliver, was well drawn and complex. Even though the story is written in third person omniscient, it has a definite focus on Agent Sliver. As I read the book, I could understand both his internal and external conflicts very well. When the story jumps to one of the other characters, it jumps smoothly and in a way that advances the story and never felt jarring or unnecessary.

Gariffo covers some thought-provoking themes in his book. My favorite was the way that he questions what it means to be truly free. Agent Sliver desires freedom for himself and several of the other characters, but he has trouble formulating his definition into words. Throughout the book this question reappears. Each time it prompts both Agent Sliver and the reader to consider their definitions in light of the latest events. I really enjoyed this method of pushing me to consider my own definition of freedom.

From a technical standpoint, I thought that the book was well edited for its length. I managed to find a few small typos and missed words. There were several instances of strong language included in the book. The strong language did help paint the particular character and scenes well, so I did not feel that it was gratuitous. Violence was important to the book, since Agent Sliver is primarily an assassin, but I felt that the author handled the violence in the book tastefully.

World, Incorporated earns 4 out of 4 stars from me. Gariffo did an excellent job telling his story in a way that was both entertaining and thought-provoking. His book challenged me to consider current political events, economic stability, and the growth of corporations. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys complex dystopian fiction, especially the kind with plenty of action.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

World, Incorporated definitely falls into the near-future dystopian fiction genre. Due to the nature of the setting and thematic elements, I would classify it as a sort of economic thriller as well. The author spent a good bit of time creating news articles for the book to help show the progression and history that created the setting of the book. These articles and fictional history create a very believable world for these characters.
Thanks for you thorough review. I was not as impressed with this novel as most seem to be. I thought it dragged in places.

I also thought the idea of Sliver keeping a historical library of what amounted to be newspaper articles, was ironic and got bored with it after a while.

:tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book paints a dismal future for the USA and the world in general. We must work to prevent these negative changes from happening. Thank you for a brilliant review of this book.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I agree with this: "Gariffo did an excellent job telling his story in a way that was both entertaining and thought-provoking. His book challenged me to consider current political events, economic stability, and the growth of corporations."

When I was reading that part of your review, I realized that it encapsulated the reason behind my enjoyment in reading the dystopian books. Good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I enjoyed reading this book. I especially liked the free-will theme and the character development. I'd have to disagree with you about the editing though. I found several errors, most notably the lack of commas within quotes.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm not a big fan of dystopian read, and I really don't fancy this type of writing. But it's good to see this book rise to become the BOTD again. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I enjoy complex dystopian fiction. Thanks for the detailed review.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

I am totally fascinated by the dystopian genre and most seem to think that this is a class act.I hope it delivers on its promise. Definite must read for me after this review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

World Incorporated is a futuristic fictional novel, and the protagonist of this story is agent Silver whose job is to eliminate the rivals of super corporations. The storyline is futuristic and engaging.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I absolutely LOVE near future dystopian! It's often scary how much of our world you can see in something like this. I'm glad it's so well-done! It sounds like a winner to me. I can't wait to learn more about Agent Sliver and his growth. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

Not a big fan of dystopian novels. After reading a review I have developed little interest in a character Agent Silver. I liked the idea presented by the author of keeping a historical library of newspaper articles. It was my hobby in school days. Therefore, I will read the book thanks to the reviewer. 💐💐👍🏻👍🏻
Congrats on being BOTD 💐💐👍🏻👍🏻
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Although I'm not usually immediately drawn to dystopian novels, the cover for this one really caught my attention. I liked your description of Agent Silver, mentioning his internal and external conflicts. Well written, thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I also appreciate that the main character, Agent Sliver, was well drawn and complex. Even though the story is written in third person omniscient, it has a definite focus on Agent Sliver. As I read the book, I could understand both his internal and external conflicts very well. When the story jumps to one of the other characters, it jumps smoothly and in a way that advances the story and never felt jarring or unnecessary.
I think this is one of the strongest assets of this book. I really enjoy complex and multidimensional characters and ones that evolve with the plot of the book. I find them much more human as we tend to evolve with circumstances. I'm really not into dystopian novels, but I enjoyed this aspect of the book.
Gariffo covers some thought-provoking themes in his book. My favorite was the way that he questions what it means to be truly free. Agent Sliver desires freedom for himself and several of the other characters, but he has trouble formulating his definition into words. Throughout the book this question reappears. Each time it prompts both Agent Sliver and the reader to consider their definitions in light of the latest events. I really enjoyed this method of pushing me to consider my own definition of freedom.
I totally agree with you. I commend authors that get you thinking at the same time that they create an engaging plot. I think freedom is an issue that all humans question and ponder at a certain time and I'm glad you mentioned this aspect and shared your own experience.

Thanks for a very thorough review.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I love dystopian novels. A world run by corporations is one of my worst nightmares, but that is actually what attracts me to this book. Its premise intrigues me. Thanks for your review.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I am a huge fan of most dystopian fiction. The ones that are set in the near future are often frightening when it seems that they are able to happen in reality. Big corporations in this country have their hands into everything so this book is not a giant leap in believability. Not sure if I’m ready for this one right now but I am adding it to my TBR. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”