Review by jessinikkip -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jessinikkip
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jessinikkip -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by jessinikkip » 15 Aug 2018, 20:29

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For over a month before I picked up a copy, I had heard nothing but good things about Belle Ami’s latest thriller The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci. I have always enjoyed books that can do a good job of combining thrilling plot twists, passionate romance, and accurate historical information. The fact that this book promised all this and more made me feel like it would be a great fit for me to read. Unfortunately, I was left feeling rather disappointed in how it was executed.

In this book, Angela Renatus is an art historian working as an intern with a sleazy boss at the prestigious Getty Museum. Despite this being a dream job for her and helping her to find a place in the art world, Angela finds that it is less of a dream and more of a nightmare. Her boss, Dr. Alberto Scordato, is both an overbearing tyrant and seemingly professional sleaze. He takes every opportunity he can to assert his dominance over Angela, both as her boss and as a man. To make matters worse, Angela has been having an almost impossible time sleeping due to recurring dreams of Leonardo da Vinci, Giuliano de Medici, and Fioretta Gorini.

Also playing a major part in the story is detective Alex Caine, who is searching for a missing painting by Leonardo da Vinci to restore it back to the art world. He first meets Angela as she sits in front of a painting of Giuliano in the museum – an event that Angela had no recollection of later. He then meets her as the art historian that he has come to the Getty to meet with and hopefully persuade to help him find the painting.

Together, Alex and Angela set off on a whirlwind journey to find this missing da Vinci portrait through the beautiful scenery of Paris, Florence, Rome and the Chianti hills. Angela’s dreams become more life-like and danger is never more than one step behind them as they follow the clues that should lead them to the painting’s hidden location.

I must admit that I never found myself drawn into this story like I had expected when first hearing about it. I knew before I ever began that it would combine elements of the supernatural with romance and mystery so that was never a surprise to me like I saw it was to some others. However, I did find myself surprised by the number of times one of the bad guys has a rape fantasy he wants to act out and it turned what could have been a well-written villain into someone I didn’t even enjoy enough to not like them. I simply found myself reading over parts of it and feeling it was becoming a bit ridiculous and found myself turned away by several grammar errors. After reading the entire novel, I would have to rate it with 2 out of 4 stars.

At times in the novel, I found myself muttering that it was ridiculous. One example of this is on one of the meetings between Alex and Angela at the painting of Medici in the museum. At this point, Alex is felt drawn to protect Angela due to a “sudden flash of lightning over the painting” and then later in the same encounter there is another “flash of light, like a lightning bolt” that shoots out of the painting and into them. Another example of where I thought it went a little too far is that Scordato’s main plan of getting information out of Angela about where the painting can be found is a healthy dose of truth serum.

I found several instances where there were either missing quotation marks before someone starts speaking or quotation marks in the middle of the same character speaking in the same paragraph. Also, I found a couple of cases where phrases are repeated by characters, almost verbatim. One example of this is Angela saying that being a “private art detective must pay well” and Alex inviting her to his home in the Chianti hills and saying, “besides, I need to check in with my manager on how the grape harvest is coming along”.

All in all, I would have rated this book with 3 stars if it had been written and edited better. The romance scenes were steamy and passionate and the descriptions of all the lovely places they visited made me want to follow in their footsteps and travel to Italy. There was also the thrilling race to find the portrait and end what has become a cycle of disappointment and death once and for all. I would not have rated it a perfect score unless the villain’s fantasies had changed. However, due to the grammar mistakes and often repeated phrases that pulled me from the story, my rating had to go down to just 2 stars.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jessinikkip's review? Post a comment saying so!

joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa » 16 Aug 2018, 07:07

Too bad that this read was a disappointment for you. It hasn't made much impact to me either. Personally I expected a story about someone who actually knew da Vinci, as the title indicates. I didn't expect that Angela would have premonitions about her past and end up being reincarnated, together with Alex. Anyways, I hope Belle Ami improves on some of those points in subsequent books.

jessinikkip
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip » 16 Aug 2018, 12:48

I was expecting much the same thing when I first saw it. I read what it was about so I kind of knew what to expect but I wished it had focused more on Da Vinci and Fioretta based on the title. It was just kind of a meh read for me.

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 17 Aug 2018, 01:26

The involvement of the ghosts in the climactic scene had me laughing at point where I shouldn't have been laughing...it got a little silly at the end.

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: All in the Head by Jean Francois Rogeon

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 17 Aug 2018, 03:46

What a disappointment! I am sorry you felt that way about the book. Some moments did feel ridiculous to me as well.

Amanda Newton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-newton.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Amanda Newton » 24 Aug 2018, 20:29

I'm sorry you were disappointed in the book. I read over it and I didn't think it was that bad, but I agree about all the rape fantasies and the ghosts interacting in the world. I gave it 3.

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 25 Aug 2018, 22:00

I too think that the title is misleading, however, as a lover of art, I find it intriguing that she was getting dreams about Da Vinci and Fioretta. Thank you for your very honest review of this book.

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 05 Sep 2018, 18:41

We all have different sets of background, upbringing, experiences, learning, and perspectives that influence our corresponding thoughts, words, actions, and choices including that of what we look for in the materials we read. I have read mostly positive feedback about this piece indeed, yet I understand and respect if it failed to meet what you prioritise and value most in a written work. Thank you for your honest yet well-explained viewpoints about the book.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

trajoe1206
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 » 05 Sep 2018, 20:56

Thanks for your detailed review. I'm sorry that this book was a let down for you. Different books appeal to different people. I was considering reading this one and maybe I still will :)

LV2R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Trading E-Mini Stock Index Futures
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Death in Costa Rica by J. J. Jorgens

Post by LV2R » 06 Sep 2018, 21:37

I really liked how you described Angela, Alex, and Dr. Scordato. I have read the book and believe you have described them well. Your high expectation of the book may have disappointed you when you read the book, and you were thrown off by the villain, as well as the grammatical errors. I liked the book for the most part because it was different, and I too enjoyed the search for the painting to end the curse.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”