Review by Dusamae -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Dusamae -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Dusamae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As his friends from Mexico said, “Gringo stupido” sums it up.

Gringo” My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive has 340 pages. This is the first book by this author.

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is the memoirs of Dan “Tito” Davis, and his life on the run from the DEA, and Federales. Dan started selling drugs in college, and the money was great, but not good enough. He had to get more product to sell to more contacts. He got caught by DEA, but he didn’t get as much time as the DEA would have liked, and they were not happy. He got sent to a prison on the west coast. When he got out of prison he started selling marijuana, which was just a repeat for the life before prison, but a different drug. His best friend was partners with a meth cook, but when he got caught he told the DEA officials that the meth was Dan’s. Dan wasn’t dealing meth, but he was a big marijuana distributor. Dan, being told that he could get thirty years in prison, left the United States for Mexico, where his friends there called him “Gringo stupido”. He was on the run for thirteen years.

The places Dan, the author, described, at times were horrid. The author didn’t give as much detail as I thought was needed to get a good feel for the places or the people. The one place that sounded nice was El Yaque in Venezuela, but still, it needed a little more description of the area the buildings and the people there. Dan did give details about his life on the run, but it seemed like he was always playing the victim.

I didn’t like the fact that Dan, later called Tito, by his wife, seemed to discard women like old shirts. Except for the first wife who divorced him, he seemed to take advantage of the women he met then he forgot about them, including his mother.

I was upset with his thoughtless attitude. After getting out of prison the first time, he couldn’t find a job. His mom came to his rescue. She talked to a developer and within days mother and son had a small ice cream parlor. They expanded and started selling pizza. They worked seven days a week from seven in the morning until midnight. The was seasonal and when the snow started he left for Las Vegas. I speculated what happened to his mom and the coffee shop, which he never addressed.

This book needs editing as it has many errors. Some of the errors I found were the paragraph headings for the first sentence in each chapter were off. The start of a sentence would just end to be picked up in the next paragraph. There was one place in the book where the sentence was repeated, but then the next part of the sentence didn’t make sense, it was as if the part repeated was supposed to have been something else.

My rating for Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is 1 out of 4 stars. I feel like there were just too many things wrong with the book to give it a three or a four rating. I didn’t think there was enough substance in the places he visited to get a good feel for the book or the other characters in the book, so I couldn’t give him a rating of two. I did think El Yaque was interesting, though it needed more details, so that led me to give it a rating of 1.

This book would not be appropriate for young adult readers because of the drugs and violence. People who like memoirs may enjoy this book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dusamae's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This read seems like a disappointment to you, and that your expectations were not met, not to mention the several mistakes in the editing. I got the kindle version of the book, and it still needs plenty of fine tuning. I enjoyed the story though, mostly because I did not know what the story was going to be about anyway. But just as you, I still don't support the whole idea of drug trafficking. Thank you for the review.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

joycechitwa wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 07:16 This read seems like a disappointment to you, and that your expectations were not met, not to mention the several mistakes in the editing. I got the kindle version of the book, and it still needs plenty of fine tuning. I enjoyed the story though, mostly because I did not know what the story was going to be about anyway. But just as you, I still don't support the whole idea of drug trafficking. Thank you for the review.
Yes, it was disappointing. I also have the kindle version of the book, and I thought maybe that was the reason for some of the paragraph problems. It definitely was an excuse for some of the other errors though. Thank you for your comment.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I agree with you that the main character appears too often to be thoughtless. I must confess I did enjoy the travel anecdotes, but it was just too difficult to find much sympathy for his situation.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

Julie Green wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 11:45 I agree with you that the main character appears too often to be thoughtless. I must confess I did enjoy the travel anecdotes, but it was just too difficult to find much sympathy for his situation.
I didn't enjoy the travel because I felt there was just not enough detail for one place, the story just jumps from one place to the next without enough detail or description. I just didn't like Davis, he had the "poor pitiful me" approach to the whole book.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Agree 100%. Tough book to read. The book bounces all over the place and he is basically a self-indulgent jerk. Also, it has to be much more fiction than reality.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

jcoad wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 09:21 The book bounces all over the place and he is basically a self-indulgent jerk. Also, it has to be much more fiction than reality.
Some of the portions are really difficult to believe, that's for sure. Others are laughable. But I just took everything with a pinch of salt; that way I was able to simply cruise through the read without too much vested efforts.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Inasmuch as I don't like it, there are many people out there who take advantage of women and then drop them.It happens.All the same, we pray sch things don't happen.I think the author was only painting one of life's scenarios. Your review is quite insightful.Thank you.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

jcoad wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 09:21 Agree 100%. Tough book to read. The book bounces all over the place and he is basically a self-indulgent jerk. Also, it has to be much more fiction than reality.
I agree with you, a self-indulgent jerk, and I was thinking "this is fiction" when I was reading it.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

joycechitwa wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 01:07
jcoad wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 09:21 The book bounces all over the place and he is basically a self-indulgent jerk. Also, it has to be much more fiction than reality.
Some of the portions are really difficult to believe, that's for sure. Others are laughable. But I just took everything with a pinch of salt; that way I was able to simply cruise through the read without too much vested efforts.
When I read a book, a well-written book I feel like I am there with the characters. So, I was unable to cruise through it, it was more like walking through quicksand to get to the end.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

Nma26 wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 05:47 Inasmuch as I don't like it, there are many people out there who take advantage of women and then drop them.It happens.All the same, we pray sch things don't happen.I think the author was only painting one of life's scenarios. Your review is quite insightful.Thank you.
You are probably right, but since this was a true story I felt like he thought more about himself and didn't even realize what impression he might be giving when he talked about his mother and his wives.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

Dusamae wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 08:23 When I read a book, a well-written book I feel like I am there with the characters. So, I was unable to cruise through it, it was more like walking through quicksand to get to the end.
:laughing-rofl: I can just imagine the frustration! :icon-lol: :icon-lol: Glad you managed to make it safe to the end!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Taking advantage of women and dumping them, is a horrible act that must be discouraged.If this book teaches that,then I want to read it.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 09:36 Taking advantage of women and dumping them, is a horrible act that must be discouraged.If this book teaches that,then I want to read it.
This book does not teach that it is more like it condones that behavior.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Maybe because it's a true life story, but there are some inconsistencies in the story line. I just finished reading it. The last shock was the abrupt ending of the story. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”