Review by jgraney8 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jgraney8 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by jgraney8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How does the mind of a detective work? One gets some insight in the mystery novel, Pancake Money, by Finn Bell. The story unfolds through the mind of Bobby Ress, a New Zealand detective. He and his partner, Pollo, work in Dunedin, New Zealand. They get called upon to investigate the grisly murders of a Catholic priest. This murder is followed by two more murders on consecutive days of Catholic priests involved in treating pedophile priests. Each murder involves torture before death. The rapidity of the murders and the lack of clues at the crime scenes make the murders difficult to solve. The murders could be related to Maori gangs or pedophile priests. Furthermore, it is unclear whether a single killer has committed the crimes or a group is involved.

Bobby’s world has two major divisions: police work and his family. At first, his reflections explore some realities of police work. In particular, he notes the contrasts between expectation and reality. His thoughts reflect his continuing education as a detective. His mentor, Pollo, provides the contrast of a partner seasoned and jaded by experience as he nears the end of his career. Police work dominates Bobby’s thoughts more and more as the murders remain unsolved. As he becomes more focused on the murders, he has less time for Em, his wife, who expresses discomfort with his police work and Eva, a special needs daughter dealing with agoraphobia.

Because this is a first-person narrative, sometimes the fragmented writing makes following the story difficult. This difficulty stems from Bobby’s conflicting feelings. We suffer with Bobby when he doesn’t know enough to move forward. When tragedy strikes, we perceive the depths of his loss, his limited knowledge, and his frustrations. Through his eyes, we experience uncomfortable interactions around these losses and the tragedies others experience. He must struggle with his desired vision of the world and the world requiring compromises between good and evil.

The writer shows a keen eye for details that add verisimilitude to the story. However, Finn Bell is judicious in supplying details. While the murders of the priests are especially grisly, the author does not relish describing the details beyond what is necessary to communicate their heinous nature.

My reservations about Pancake Money are two. The ending had a slap your forehead type of discovery moment. It succeeded in tying all the different loose strings of the novel together a little too neatly for my taste. The second reservation comes from the lack of real development of the secondary characters. Pollo came alive, but Bobby’s wife and his daughter never did for me. Perhaps Bobby’s understanding of them reflects his narrow vision of the world around him. Still, I found it a disappointing flaw in the main character that otherwise questions, examines, and analyzes so much of the world around him.

The book fits into the mystery genre, a police procedural. It succeeds in how it withholds the solution to the crimes until the end and the solution is believable. The author did not withhold information that would hinder the reader since we as readers share the knowledge of the main character. The novel includes Maori characters, but knowledge of Maori culture is not required. Language will not impede comprehension. The novel is set in New Zealand, but very little slang is incorporated. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The mystery is compelling, and the main character is likable.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jgraney8's review? Post a comment saying so!
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I love a good mystery story every once in a while. This one seems pretty intriguing, what with the case of the murder of priests! There is also the idea of work-life balance, with the protagonist having to juggle between his detective work and his family. Its a good thing that Bobby, being the lead character, is well developed , complete with the emotional turmoils that come with the territory of his job. The secondary characters, though, could do with more fleshing up. Thank you for this!
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Thank you for reading the review.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I really loved this book!

I agree with your assessment that Bobby's wife and daughter were not well developed characters, but I think that is common in this type of crime fiction. The detective is usually flawed and gets most of the 'internal real estate'!

:coffee3-smiley:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I absolutely loved your review. I have read and reviewed this book and can not agree with you more that it was a compelling read. I also had issues with character development. I would have liked to know more about Em and Eva. However, Bobby's POV really did say a lot, both as a detective used to brutality and as a human being vulnerable to pain. Thanks again for your review.
I would be glad if you could read my review on the same book and give your opinion!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Bobby's life seems to have changed so instantly and it's affecting everyone around him. I can get why this book got you so emotionally involved.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”