Review by CheyenneR -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by CheyenneR -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is a thriller/action book set in the dystopian United States. The main protagonist, Agent Silver, is an operative for World Inc. one of the five major super corporations that rule everything. Agent Silver oversees taking out any targets that World Inc. considers a threat to the super corporation. He is also keeping an eye out for the elusive Ancarn, one of the five super corporation CEOs. Silver has a bit of a bone to pick with Ancarn but the CEO is rarely seen in public, making it difficult for Silver to chase his target.

Agent Silver starts out as a stereotypical antihero. He does his job with a cold detachment and moves on to the next target. That is until one target sparks the smallest doubt in his mind which snowballs from there. One of my favorite things about Silver is that he is a well written and complex character. I assumed he would make all the normal choices that a character of this types makes. I was wrong, he has a personality and uses his intelligence wisely.

We also meet a few side characters who really bring out the best of the other personalities. Silvers onboard virtual intelligence system, Franklin; Kelly, who Silver encounters early in the story and Rex, a symbiotic robot sent to kill Silver. All the side characters serve a meaningful purpose but that doesn’t stop the author from making one or two shocking choices with them.

Gariffo as does a great job of describing this new United States as a dystopian landscape. I felt that the descriptions were in depth but at the same time, I didn’t feel overwhelmed by the number of futuristic gadgets and jargon. It is the perfect balance of simple yet advanced and the author shows his imagination while describing places like New Detroit.

The only glaring problem I have with this book is that around chapter four we get a not so brief history of events that led to the current climate. It was the longest chapter in the book and honestly, I felt that it really dragged. I appreciate the background to help you understand the past and present of the book, but it seemed like too much. The second chapter that focused on finishing the history lesson was much better than the first and I was interested in reading it. The first part caused me to put the book down for a day or so and then I had to make myself finish reading it.

I felt that this was a well-edited book, and I only found two problems and those were very simple typos. I enjoyed the characters and settings so much that I found it hard to put this one down and finished it in just a few days. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a good read for anyone who enjoys not only action stories but also a simple yet interesting take on futuristic cities and technology. There isn't much cussing and not too much gore so I would say that it is acceptable for teenagers as well.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like CheyenneR's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

A futuristic story where the world is run by corporations sounds like a great story line. I'm glad to hear that the author did a splendid job developing Agent Silver's character. The dragged out parts of the story don't sound like much fun though, but it's a good thing that they did not detract from the general excellence of the book. Thanks for this great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an interesting and very insightful review. The comments on the book are very honest because I also have a feeling that the news article section was too long. The characters are very interesting. I did not get a chance to read the entire book but I guess I will have to read the whole of it when an opportunity comes by.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

you have written a long wide review including all the important details from the book.
thanks for the good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”