Review by Shraddha_rc -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Shraddha_rc -- Gringo

Post by Shraddha_rc »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was curious to read this book as soon as I saw its title. I expected chase scenes, drug lords and mafia life but I wasn’t exactly expecting what I read in this.

Dan ‘Tito’ Davis had known how much hardship his parents had been through when they were young. He helped them financially and had more luxuries compared to what his parents had at his age. Having a passion of horse riding, he got the chance to do just that when a guy approached him with the opportunity. But things took a turn when he got in touch with a kid in his college who provided him a drug that could help him get better marks than he ever had. After debating for some time he finally took the drug and passed that semester easily just like other students who were influenced by that drug too.

But he started seeing business in selling of those drugs and asked the kid to help him sell them. That’s where things went downhill for him. He became busy in earning and didn’t realize what he was unintentionally planning for his future, which was not good at all.

I will start with the thing I disliked. Spanish is used in this book which was hard for me to comprehend since I had no idea about that language. So either I had to skip those sentences, try to understand them by linking them to the scenario or go all the way to the last page to see what it actually meant (the translations) which I found a bit time consuming.

Apart from the above reason, there was nothing that made me dislike this book. There were a few spelling errors which I ignored, since there weren’t many. I was so engrossed in reading this that now I can narrate it to anyone who is not interested in reading and loves hearing stories. This is one of the things I liked about it. The words are catchy and hooks you up to the novel until you want to rest (which was what happened in my case). The scenarios that the author went through would have felt unrealistic if the writer had exaggerated. But it didn’t happen.

I rarely read any autobiography, but I chose this one and I’m glad that I chose it. It was a breath of fresh air for me since I’m more of a reader of novels of romance or fiction genre. It didn’t crush my hopes of reading something out of my comfortable zone. I actually loved it. At some point I even sympathized with the author, but knew that he was in those conditions because of what he had done (I can’t reveal much. Sorry).

I would have given it four stars but the translation parts made me pull back one star. I’m glad to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a good read and any reader can read it, especially those who are confused with making life decisions. You will definitely learn a lesson for life from Dan ‘Tito’ Davis.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shraddha_rc's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

From the title, you would expect lots of violence, crime and drug life, but its quite interesting to note that instead you find a very hilarious story. The drug trafficking story is just the backdrop. I think Tito is quite a great story teller! Thanks for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”