Review by GabbiV -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by GabbiV -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by GabbiV »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci is a romantic historical mystery written by Belle Ami that follows Angela Renatus, a Renaissance art historian who starts off as an intern and is plagued by both her insufferable boss Alberto and her visions of her past lives. Alberto, seeking wealth and fame from the art world, plans to use Angela to track down an unsigned, but original Da Vinci piece. The much sought after piece depicts a forbidden love affair that was never legitimized, and therefore was never formally recognized.

Accompanying her on her quest to find the elusive piece is Alex Caine, a wealthy art detective, who witnessed Angela’s supernatural link firsthand and became unquestionably bound to her ever since. Together, Angela and Alex leave Los Angeles and go on a tour of Tuscany and Rome, following clues as they are revealed via Angela’s visions of her past two lives.

As the duo encroaches upon the location of the unclaimed artwork, their relationship intensifies to dizzying heights, just as their previous reincarnations had before them. During this reincarnation, the two are resolved to break the curse that surrounds Da Vinci’s piece that shatters their happiness in its infancy.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are minimal typos and the text looks professionally edited. The romance and mystery aspects are balanced; however, at times I found myself wondering about the necessity of the number of sex scenes throughout the book. If you aren’t into reading about sex, it would be best to skip this book since it happens often.

I cannot give this book 4 stars because in essence only two characters were given time to be developed, despite there being three couples, and even then Alex and Angela don’t have any memorable characteristics. I wanted them to prevail not for their sake, but because their antagonist Alberto effectively repulsed me. If you have a problem with sexual assault, there are brief mentions at the beginning and end of the book, so be wary.

I liked the pacing of the book as the romance and mystery aspects would happen one after the other, ensuring that if I was getting bored with one genre it would switch focus within a few pages. I also liked the presence of two past lives, which allowed two different time periods to be explored, the High Renaissance and Italy during World War II 1944.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GabbiV's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I agree 100% with your review. The story was shallow, the characters simple and the "sex" was too much for me. I did enjoy the flashback portions of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”