Review by Alicia09 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangle...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Alicia09 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangle...

Post by Alicia09 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders

This book documents six famous rapes and murders that took place in Dayton, Ohio between 1900 and 1910. All six of these famous rapes and murders involved strangulation of young white women between the ages of 11 and 19. This led many to coin the murders as “Jack the Strangler” murders.

Forschner began this story when he was researching the death of one of his great aunts. As Forschner began researching the death of one of his great aunts, he uncovered a history of the six famous rapes and murders that are listed in this book. This book offers a detailed description of how each girl was either raped and/or murdered, as well as the unique social situation their families went through.

Forschner wrote a very detailed description of how each girl was murdered, as well as a very thorough depiction of how the murders affected the residents of Dayton, Ohio. Forschner also did a very good job of describing how the female victims were blamed for their own murders and/or rapes during the early 1900’s. Forschner did an excellent job of explaining how society treated women at this time, even if they were rich, young, white, and successful. Forschner also did an excellent job of portraying the extreme limitations that were evident the police department of Dayton, Ohio at the time of the murders. The detailed descriptions of the way women were treated and the limitations of the police department helped to paint a very historically accurate picture of how the murders were perceived at the time.

This book was hard to read because of the extreme levels of violence that the girls experienced, but I think that Forschner included these details to be as accurate as possible in his narrative of the murders that took place in Dayton, Ohio during the early 1900’s. While I would not recommend this book to anyone who gets scared easily, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a fair, accurate, honest portrayal of the murders that took place in Dayton, Ohio in the early 1900’s.

My favorite thing about this book was that it was written with the intention of giving a voice to six girls who were raped, murdered, and possibly forgotten in Dayton, Ohio. I also enjoyed the fact that Forschner wrote about major social issues that became apparent at the time of the murders. Female victims were oftentimes blamed for being murdered and raped and this in turn caused the reputations of their families to suffer. My least favorite part of this book was the fact that many neighbors falsely accused family members of murdering some of the girls in hopes of obtaining reward money. This was not the authors fault, but this was well documented throughout the book.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it appears to be professionally edited and it does an excellent job of documenting real murders that took place in Dayton, Ohio during the early 1900’s. I am also rating this book highly because Forschner documented these murders in hopes of revealing the biases and prejudices that society held against women, especially if they were the victims of rape and murder. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a fair, honest, nonbiased account of six real murders that took place in the early 20th century.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alicia09's review? Post a comment saying so!
:character-ariel:
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Having just read and reviewed this book myself, I really appreciate all that you have written! My favorite part was the same as yours. Forschner brought justice to these women whose lives were ended too soon. He gave them back their voices and showed them the respect they deserved.

A great review, thank you!

If you're interested, here's my own review:
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=80921
Let me know what you think!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

This is an awesome review Alicia! I can't begin to comprehend the feelings of young girls who've been rape victims. And that too, based on true incidents, this seems quite like a gory book. I'm not sure I can handle that amount of violence and sexual harassment though.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Wow, sounds like an interesting book. The graphic depictions of their deaths turn me off of the novel, I'm not a fan of gore and violence. I like the intent the author had of giving a voice to the victims though! Great review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like crime novels, but I think this is a little too intense for me.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is a great thing that you were able to read and complete reading the entire book given how the author was able to write everything in black and white. I enjoyed reading your review. It is good to note that the six victims were given a voice and people can now have a different view of these rape cases.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I liked your awesome review that brought some good insights about the contents of this book. Such gruesome acts as depicted in this book sound nerve whacking.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”