Review by KKTeal -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KKTeal
Currently Reading: In The Market For Murder
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kkteal.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by KKTeal -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by KKTeal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toxic Side Effect" by Sandy Magner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toxic Side Effect, written by Sandy Magner, is a fast-paced murder mystery that is a quick and enjoyable read. Be warned, however, the book contains a fair amount of profanity. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book begins with the main character, Jennifer, rushing to the emergency room in response to her Mother’s phone call made while inside an ambulance. Jennifer’s Dad is dying and this makes absolutely no sense to her. Her Dad had been perfectly healthy the last time she saw him. Upon arriving at the ER, Jennifer abrasively inserts herself into the room where her Dad is. Despite the chaos, she learns from the doctor that her Dad was likely poisoned. Later it is confirmed that her Dad died from cyanide poisoning. His death was not an accident, but rather a murder. The number one suspect is Jennifer’s Mom. What a nightmare! Her beloved Dad is dead, and her Mom is the prime suspect. With help from her best friend Kat, Jennifer embarks on a mission to find another suspect to take the heat of the investigation off of her Mom. She begins by finally meeting her Dad’s longtime lover Maureen. In the process, she discovers the existence of her half-brother Andy. Putting her feelings aside, Jennifer keeps digging until the truth behind who killed her father is revealed.

I loved how fast paced this book was. It was hard to put down, especially since I didn’t know who the murderer was until the end. The action seemed non-stop. It seems, however, that not as much effort was put into growing a connection between the reader and the characters. I learned a lot of facts about Jennifer. She is a middle-aged woman dealing with premenopausal symptoms including ill-timed hot flashes. She swears frequently, as does her best friend Kat. She has been married and divorced twice. She is impulsive and abrasive. She has two grown-up children. Despite discovering these facts about Jennifer, I still haven’t read anything that makes me especially care about her or her family for that matter. This plus the profanity is the reason that I took away one star.

Toxic Side Effect is the sequel to Pocket Call. I was able to read this book without reading Pocket Call first. I wonder, however, if I would have felt more connected to Jennifer if I’d read the first book.

Overall I would recommend Toxic Side Effect to mystery lovers looking for a quick read. I enjoyed the action-filled plot and the “who done it” suspense.

Toxic Side Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KKTeal's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”