Review by stargazer45133 -- World, Incorporated

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stargazer45133
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stargazer45133.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Review by stargazer45133 -- World, Incorporated

Post by stargazer45133 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate the book World Incorporated 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was engaging and the book was hard to put down. I enjoyed the many twists and turns in the story, and found myself nearly holding my breath on several occasions to read what would happen next. This is definitely not a predictable book. However, there was very strong language and violent content that may turn off some readers. It was for that reason that I did not give the book 4 stars.

The story begins with Agent Sliver carrying out a mission for his employer, World Inc. The mission has an unexpected complication, and Agent Sliver’s solution creates even more unexpected circumstances as he continues to carry out missions. His interaction with this onboard computer and his superior, Fellrock, as well as others with whom he comes into contact are all affected by the decision he makes at the end of this mission. In addition, this solution allows another character and the reader to catch up on world events as this story begins a few decades in the future.

This book will appeal to those who enjoy futuristic writings with plenty of drama. I liked reading about new types of aircraft or spacecraft with talking onboard computers and shoes that would launch the wearer hundreds of feet in the air. I was scared by the changes that had occurred in the world in this book, mostly because I can see where some of those things could actually happen. The changes to the corporate world that were propelled by greed in this story can easily be well on the way in our very real world, and caused this to be a very thought and fear provoking book.

On the other hand, readers who do not like violence or cannot condone hard language may not like reading this book at all. The author, in addition to using foul language, has an extensive vocabulary. I noticed as I was reading that there were many words that I rarely see, and there was a word that I had to look up in the dictionary. I consider myself to have a large vocabulary, but I know not everyone does. If one has to look up half of the words in a book they are reading, it can interfere with both the general understanding of the book as well as the readers’ pleasure.

I recommend this book to those who have imagination, and would like an idea of where corporate greed is taking our country and our world. Those who like to envision the future may delight in this book. To those who prefer a higher moral ground, this book may be offensive due to the disregard of human life and objectionable language.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like stargazer45133's review? Post a comment saying so!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. I have this book on my to-read list. Great point about the extensive vocabulary

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”