Review by Shilpa Paul -- The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Shilpa Paul -- The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

Post by Shilpa Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's Aftermath of War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s Aftermath of War

I did not read the first book “The Warramunga’s War” as I don’t like reading war stories. I would have definitely not read “The Warramunga’s Aftermath of War” if not for the official review, assuming it to be the continuity of the first part. The quote “Don’t judge a book by its cover” holds true for this book. For those who don’t like war stories like me, please note that this is a Crime fiction with a touch of romance.

Post war, Jamie and Jacko head the Darwin Office of Commonwealth Investigation Service. They accidently rescue a child who is a victim of child trafficking. Further investigation indicates multiple murders as well. With the help of few trustworthy government officials, cops and locals, Jamie and Jacko arrest the people involved in the racket at Cebu. This causes restlessness and nervousness among the ringleaders of the syndicate at Darwin. Many high profile government officials involved are also exposed. To avenge themselves and avail pardon, the baddies kidnap Carna. The book gets very interesting at this point. Both Jamie and Carna develop feeling for each other but have not realised and confessed their love yet. The kidnap of Carna has Jamie extremely worried for her wellbeing and desperate for her rescue. Jacko and Sarah, using their aboriginal skills, rescue Carna and also mislead the crooks further deep into the wild without food, water, survival kit and with the lingering dangers of crocodile attacks. The story has a very sweet and a happy ending.

I found the first part of the criminal investigation resolved very quickly without any hurdles. Child trafficking rackets are very dangerous and involves risk. Our Jamie and Jacko figured it out very easily with help of few locals. It’s hard to believe that everyone they come across or approached, were all trustworthy. They were very lucky indeed. In real life such help is hard to find where risk to one’s life is involved. Along with locals if the writer could have included a couple of police informers in the story, it would have been more realistic.

The most interesting part of the story is the rescue of Carna by Jacko and Sarah. They also lead the crooks deep into the wild leaving them immobile. The aboriginal skill of Jacko and Sarah are amazing and keeps you glued to the book. This is the most fascinating part of the book where the writer describes the scenic beauty of the bushes in the country side, survival and tracking skills in the wild, threats of the crocodiles, hide and seek with the kidnappers and some fun moments between Jacko, Sarah and Carna. One would fall in love with Jacko who is a great friend, a loving brother, a great fighter, and has an aboriginal background with decent education. He is extremely faithful to his long distance love. Although a fierce fighter, he is clueless when it comes to express his love. Jacko steals the show completely.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The writer has a very good vocabulary. The book has been professionally edited hence have no errors to list. This book will interest those who enjoy crime investigation, suspense, and adventure.

The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Shilpa Paul's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Nice review. I have not read the book as I also don't like war books like you. Maybe I'll reconsider my decision in the future. Good luck for your next review. I would suggest you to work on your grammar. Please don't be offended.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”