Review by prospero360 -- Acquiesce to love peace gratitude

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review by prospero360 -- Acquiesce to love peace gratitude

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Acquiesce to love peace gratitude" by Fabiola Piedad Maria Alicia Reynales de Berry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Acquiesce to Love Peace Gratitude by Fabiola Piedad María Alicia Reynales de Berry is a memoir in which the author helps to tell the story of her friend, Susana. By telling her story, Susana hopes to help people who are affected by anxiety, stress, and anger. After 32 years of marriage, she comes to the conclusion that her husband never loved her. He always blamed her and the rest of the world when things didn't go well for him. He never showed her love and affection. He envied her career success and spoke ill of her to his friends. He even admitted to loving her only because of her intelligence and organizational skills. Life in her marriage became more challenging when her husband was diagnosed with dementia. She tries to make the marriage work, but she fails. This leads to feelings of anger, anxiety, stress, panic attacks, and occasionally, suicide. How can Susana escape these feelings to become truly happy again?

I was a bit hesitant when I was choosing this book to read, as I couldn't see how a book of this length would contain enough in-depth knowledge to help someone with anxiety. After reading the book, I can confidently say that it was not a wrong choice. My expectations of books like Acquiesce to Love Peace Gratitude are that they should be easy to understand, easy to connect with, contain references to methods used, and of course, free of grammatical errors. This book fulfilled most of these expectations.

Most of the methods used by Susana to combat anxiety were gotten from self-help books. I really liked that the books she read were mentioned, as she told us about how she implemented her lessons from them. I also liked that she talked about the extent to which each of the books helped her. If a book didn't really help, she tried to explain why she felt it didn't help at some points. She showed that healing from anxiety or anger was a gradual process for her. She also talks about positive thinking and how the universe sends you what you think about. She usually spent time thinking about what she didn't want. The universe obliged and sent her husband to her, which was even worse than what she didn't want. I found this part of the book very interesting, and I feel it's an important message everyone can pick up from this book.

In addition, I liked where she opened up about her childhood and how it affected her anxiety. Acquiesce to Love Peace Gratitude is a breath of fresh air with respect to editing compared to books I've read recently. The only issue I have with this book is how bad she made her husband look. She slated him on almost every single page, and this made me feel like her methods didn't really help her manage her issues with him.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. It has a great concept and it is well written. Susana's story is also very easy to relate to. I would recommend this book to people who are dealing with anger, anxiety, and depression. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The level of Susana's hate towards her husband reduced my trust for her methods a bit. This affects the purpose of the book in a way and takes out 1 star from me.

Acquiesce to love peace gratitude
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I agree that if she was slating her husband all the way through, she hasn’t fully acquiesced to love, peace or gratitude.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is a book one can easily relate to.
I just wish Susana didn't express that much hatred towards her husband. This would reduce her objectivity in the eyes of the reader. Thanks for the great review!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 08:23 This is a book one can easily relate to.
I just wish Susana didn't express that much hatred towards her husband. This would reduce her objectivity in the eyes of the reader. Thanks for the great review!
You're very welcome. Thank you for the comment.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 00:26 Great review. I agree that if she was slating her husband all the way through, she hasn’t fully acquiesced to love, peace or gratitude.
Thank you for the comment.
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

The manner in which Susana slates her husband makes it seems like she hasn't really moved on, but this seems like a really good book. I'll check it out. Thank you for the review.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Great review.I love books that have less editing issues.They are very rare.From what you've said, Suzanne is someone some women today can idenifty with.There are lots of loveless marriages today, though I don't encourage her slating her husband.Thanks for your insight.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I empathise with Susana. She seems to be a real character in this book.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

How can a man not love his wife after 32 years of marriage? What was he feeling all this while? I empathise with Susana and her husband.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

My brother gets panic attacks so I might recommend this book to him. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I do have anxiety and I know a lot of people who suffer through it. I think this book would be very useful. I don't usually like self-help books but I might give this book a shot. Thank you for the review.
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”