Review by sharkyjen998 -- White Night by J.J. Holt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by sharkyjen998 -- White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by sharkyjen998 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The scene is set immediately with “chapter zero”, which I found a refreshing and creative change of pace. Michael, a seemingly paranoid but determined construction worker, is working late into the night when suddenly a shot rings out and knocks him down. He knows he’s been shot, but the shooter is still out there looking for him. Michael pushes through the unbearable pain and frees himself from what sounded like police officers attempting to murder him.

After escaping, Michael finds himself caught up in a police investigation being led by Detective Connors and her partner ‘Sir’ Ross, but he knows something they don’t. Someone inside the police department was after him that night to silence him. Could these events be connected to his past?

Detective Connors has her own problems. This is her first case back after a nearly career-ending injury that has left her physically and visibly vulnerable, but she is determined not to let her knee stop her. She’s been partnered with the somewhat erratic Detective Ross who is also an outsider within the police department. Can they overcome their new partnership to help crack this case?

Nikolai is yet another complex character facing his own challenges. His rough and tough criminal involvement with a mob in the area is completely contradictory to his peaceful home-life with a beautiful wife and young daughter. He dreams of escaping the pressures his criminal lifestyle has brought upon his family, and he’s already hatched up a brilliant plan to make his escape.

The point of view between these three main characters shifts at various points throughout the story to give the reader a birds-eye view into the unfolding drama. J.J. Holt’s beautiful use of imagery makes this novel a delight to read. Descriptions such as “pain seared him like the devil,” and “swirled in her mind like freshly stirred coffee,” evoke powerful emotions from the reader as they feel pulled into the storyline.

I rate White Night by J.J. Holt 4 out of 4 stars. This book was written beautifully, and the execution of the story line was flawless. The plot was undoubtedly intriguing and intense, and each character’s complexity and flaws added another level to an already great story. The realistic portrayal of the daily struggles police officers face was hard hitting. Reading from such a perspective gave me new insights and empathy for our officers in blue.

It’s important to point out that this book does have a few instances of sexually graphic and sexually violent thought processes as depicted by the hardened criminal Nikolai. His thoughts can be disturbing at times, so I wouldn’t recommend this book for anyone triggered by sexual violence. While mild and rare, the few mentions of this theme might be disturbing for sensitive audiences.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like sharkyjen998's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

The story sounds intriguing. Great review. I will definitely read it .
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Nice review.This book appeals to me and I would really love to read it.The intrigue I see in this story is quite compelling.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Thank you for your well-written review! This sounds like an interesting book. I appreciate that it gave you a new perspective and respect for the police, I know that this is something I myself could use. It sounds like a great story!
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Abigail R wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 21:24 Thank you for your well-written review! This sounds like an interesting book. I appreciate that it gave you a new perspective and respect for the police, I know that this is something I myself could use. It sounds like a great story!
Thank you for your reply!
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Nma26 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 19:31 Nice review.This book appeals to me and I would really love to read it.The intrigue I see in this story is quite compelling.
Thank you for your reply :mrgreen2: I hope you enjoy the book
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Rosebella wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 12:20 The story sounds intriguing. Great review. I will definitely read it .
I hope you enjoy it! I sure did!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Well you’ve sold this book to me. Sounds like a good, intricate plot and the opening scene sounds like an attention grabber. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 02:29 Well you’ve sold this book to me. Sounds like a good, intricate plot and the opening scene sounds like an attention grabber. Great review.
Thank you for your comment! I really think you will enjoy this one!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It looks like a enjoyable detective suspense novel where police insider is involved in clearing off the evidence by killing the protagonist.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Wonderful review. Although, your review confirms that this book would not suit my tastes. :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Wow! This sounds like one hell of a thrilling page turner of a tale. I also think starting with chapter 0 is a great way to interest and give a unique start to the story. I can't wait to get to know these characters.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Chapter 0? Sure swirls in my mind like freshly stirred coffee :lol: Your review of this intriguing book is very captivating. Have added it to my to read list!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Excellent review. I agree with you that the plot works really well and I gave this book one of my strongest reviews yet.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review and recommendation! It sounds like a book that I will enjoy, especially after seeing all the other excited comments in the reply section :P I like the fact that the characters had their own complexity and flaws as well :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”