Review by Cara Van Heerden -- The Prize

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Review by Cara Van Heerden -- The Prize

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prize" by Geoffrey M Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following the miraculous discovery of a drug to treat Alzheimer’s disease, The Prize tells a story of betrayal, fraud and murder. For over ten years, since her mother first showed signs of memory loss, Pam Weller had dreamt of finding an Alzheimer’s cure. She runs a laboratory of her own at Langmere and works with her postdocs, Holly and George, to make that dream possible. While Pam struggles to secure tenure to continue her research, the leading scientist for Alzheimer’s, Eric Prescott, races to find the cure first. Holding multiple prizes that showcase his prestige, Prescott covets the biggest of them all, the Nobel Prize.

When rumours of the cure’s discovery at Langmere reach Prescott, his supremacy is threatened. With fame and fortune on the line, he turns to Holly with a plot that will launch her career to new heights and put him in line for the Nobel Prize. Their web of lies sweep Pam’s achievements from under her and send her spiralling down a path that threatens her career and her life.

I laughed and cried with these characters. That is how you know a book was worth reading. The author, Geoffrey Cooper, immerses his readers into the world of medical research with an ease that brings soul to every character. Even the arrogant Eric Prescott has a charm that breathes life into the story. I easily found myself feeling sympathy and outrage for what Pam was going through. I teared up for her more than a few times.

It was surprising how the story had little action but still managed to keep me at the edge of my seat, or rather, keep my nose glued to my Kindle’s screen. The suspense of this book is not aimed towards ‘whodunit’, but rather if justice will win out. Will Prescott and Holly get away with stealing everything from Pam, and at what cost?

The author easily explains the science. I understood every word when the plot delved into the intricacies of drug testing and chemistry. I was afraid his writing would be filled with confusing jargon, but Geoffrey Cooper brings a perfect balance between science and thriller.

I give The Prize 4 out of 4 stars. Masterfully written and edited, The Prize is a must-read for anyone who enjoys medical crime thrillers. My only complaint is a few minor formatting issues where characters’ thoughts were not properly indicated with italics; while distracting, this didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book. In fact, during my search for any grammar mistakes, this book taught me a few new words and phrases, such as “Peking” which means “from Beijing.” I enjoy it when a book expands my knowledge.

The Prize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Cara Van Heerden's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It sounds like the author really brought these characters to life. And your review really brought the book to life! I thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 06:20 It sounds like the author really brought these characters to life. And your review really brought the book to life! I thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks!
Thank you, Bianka! 😀
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I also reviewed this book and I was glad that I did! It was one of the best fast-paced medical thriller books out there! However, I was a bit disappointed in the end because it seemed like the author ran out of idea how to end the chase. But still, it was worth reading! Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 02:49 I also reviewed this book and I was glad that I did! It was one of the best fast-paced medical thriller books out there! However, I was a bit disappointed in the end because it seemed like the author ran out of idea how to end the chase. But still, it was worth reading! Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
That's an interesting view. It was a short book and those can feel a little rushed toward the end, but I didn't pick that up with this one. Thank you for reading my review😁

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”