Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War is not just another war story, but it also a story about love and friendship. The book is written by Greg Kater. It is a fictional story that takes place during World War 2.

In the story, you are first introduced by Jacko and Jamie. Jamie and Jacko are both Australian officers in the Army. They are both fighting against the Vichy French in Syria. During dangerous circumstances, they meet and devlope a strong bond with each other.

There are two parts in this book. The first part takes place in Egypt. They serve in the Brittish millitary intelligence during the North African campaign. With the help of beautiful women, they succeed in capturing sneeky Germans that are up to no good. During the second part of the story, they are back in Australia. They work with the Australian Information Service. While they are there they are on the hunt for some dangerous fugitives.

I enjoyed reading this story a lot. There is a lot going on throughout the whole book. As if their time in Egypt is not exciting enough, they also find themselves getting involved in some murder cases. There is also some romance in the book, which I love. Their time in Australia is also very exciting. You can feel their anticipation for capturing these criminals. You feel like you are on the man hunt with them.

I liked some of the characters in the book. Especially Jamie and Jacko. You get to know both of the main charecters very well. Jacko is half Warramunga [ an Austrailian Aboriginal tribe]. Being where he's from he constantly has a new trick up his sleeve. It is interesting to read about all the stunts he pulls during dangerous situations. There is a lot of humor in Jamie as well as Jacko. Another thing that I liked about both of them were they respectful gentlemen. They treated the women in the book very well. They were always polite and caring towards them. I liked some of the women in the book. Some were funny and seemed very helpful.

I liked that the book had many different themes to it. I found the book also to be very educational. I've learned about different locations in Egypt and also Australia. I've learned some information about the pyramids in Egypt. Only part that I found confusing was the number of characters in the book. Sometimes there seemed like a lot and I would have to go back through to see who that person was.
I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.I didn't notice any grammar errors while reading it. I am excited to read the series that follows this book. I think anyone that likes war stories would enjoy reading it. Also anyone that enjoys romances. For anyone that doesn't likes those genres, this book might not be for you. I'm glad and thankful that I got to read this book. I hope many others enjoy it as well.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I've read numerous reviews for this book, but I never did realize what 'Warramunga' meant until you enlightened me with your review. Splendid one! :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Fuzaila wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 04:52 I've read numerous reviews for this book, but I never did realize what 'Warramunga' meant until you enlightened me with your review. Splendid one! :)
Thank you. I was curious too.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks for your review.The fact that the book is educational appeals to me.I would surely love to read this book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Nma26 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 10:57 Thanks for your review.The fact that the book is educational appeals to me.I would surely love to read this book.
Your welcome. It is educational. You also learn what other countries had to go through during the war. What I think is most delightful are the characters.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

This book sounds interesting. I love stories about soldiers and wars. Can't wait to read about why get they get involved in the murder cases.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Raya raymond wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:08 This book sounds interesting. I love stories about soldiers and wars. Can't wait to read about why get they get involved in the murder cases.
It was pretty good. I hope you like it.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I think soldiers would appreciate this book more.I enjoyed your review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 16:45 I think soldiers would appreciate this book more.I enjoyeed your review.
Thank you.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is the first time I know where the word " Warramunga" comes from. Thanks for pointing this out and for the charming review. :tiphat:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 22:39 This is the first time I know where the word " Warramunga" comes from. Thanks for pointing this out and for the charming review. :tiphat:
Your welcome. Thank you.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I was disappointed with the spy portion of the story in Egypt. I felt like after dedicating half the book to this plot line it ended very quickly and boring. I really enjoyed the portion in Australia. I agree the two main characters were very enjoyable. Thanks for the excellent review!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

jcoad wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 21:37 I was disappointed with the spy portion of the story in Egypt. I felt like after dedicating half the book to this plotline it ended very quickly and boring. I really enjoyed the portion in Australia. I agree the two main characters were very enjoyable. Thanks for the excellent review!
I enjoyed some of the characters most of all. There wasn't a lot of action in Egypt. I did like that there was a murder mystery. I thought it made up for it a little. Your welcome!Thank you for the comment!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, sounds like an enjoyable book and I know very little about the war in Africa.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 09:47 Great review, sounds like an enjoyable book and I know very little about the war in Africa.
Me neither. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”