Review by sam_jennifer_may -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by sam_jennifer_may -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

Post by sam_jennifer_may » 12 Aug 2018, 13:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley is a perfect example of how to write a short, snappy story that will make you and your children smile and laugh.

Sigfried has a big pile of socks. A big pile of socks that smell very, very bad. But why do they smell so bad? That is for you and Sigfried to find out as you journey through the various pages of the book, each holding their own disgusting smell.

Len Foley creates a fun and engaging reading experience with his exceptional writing and illustrations. The wording and illustrations play with your senses, so much so that the book makes you feel as if you could actually smell what is being described. The book is a perfect starting point for a child learning to read, with a story that will make the learning experience fun and enjoyable. The language is simple and easy to understand, and is perfect for children aged 3 to 7 - or even for those older children that are looking for a giggle.

Len Foley perfectly catches the tone of the story with his illustration of Sigfried and his smelly socks. The illustration flawlessly complements what is being described, adding depth and detail to a wonderfully worded story. The use of real and illustrated images throughout the book creates a sensory adventure to keep even the most uninterested children engaged.

Whilst the concept of dirty socks and disgusting smells may seem off putting to parents, it is important to understand the moral teaching underlying Sigfried’s story. The book has been created to draw children’s attention to and encourage cleanliness and hygiene. The book teaches children the importance of maintaining good hygiene through a funny, witty story told from the perspective of a child just like them.

One area in which the book falls down is the rhyming. Whilst excellent in some parts of the book, there are certain areas in which the rhymes don’t actually rhyme. Simple editing by the author would easily fix this problem.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The problematic rhyming prevented the book from receiving 4 stars, however Foley still manages to create a well rounded, engaging story. This book is a good read, and is a perfect example of how to teach important moral and life lessons in a fun, engaging way. Len Foley creates a story that is funny, witty, and can be enjoyed by both adults and children.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sam_jennifer_may's review? Post a comment saying so!

Jemima_Jones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jemima_Jones » 14 Aug 2018, 13:49

Thank you so much for this review. I was sceptical about allowing my child to read this book but you’ve really opened my eyes as to the positive effect. I often find myself lecturing my 3 year old about why she has to bath and clean her teeth but this book seems like it will do it for me. I’m 100% sure she is more likely to listen to Sigfried than me. I also think any book that will give you and your child a giggle is worth while. Thank you again.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”