Review by Oxana Kim -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oxana Kim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oxana-kim.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Oxana Kim -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Oxana Kim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many poems do you know about a sock? What about a dirty sock? Doesn’t sound pleasant, right? But wait, don’t go away, because Len Foley found his inspiration in a simple object, like socks. This is a smart and hilarious book, great for young children and their parents.

When I first saw the title of the book, I was a little bit skeptical. I mean, how the story about a sock can be entertaining? However, after reading it, I was surprised by the author’s creativity. From beginning to end book holds kid's attention. Sigfried’s smelly socks is a story about a little boy, who is trying to figure out why his book stinks. On each page he explores different objects, that may cause the smell. By the way, you will find a lot of them. The tale is very cute and adorable mainly for little kids, but as an adult, I enjoyed it as well. I think it is important to read to kids not only a fairytale but also a story from everyday life, like this one (presented in a funny way). I don’t think this book has a deep, hidden meaning, it is a kind of books, that makes you smile and laugh. And at the end, you will definitely be going to love your socks.

This picture book is aimed at young readers from 3 to7 years, especially those who like gross humor. Very easy to read. The length is not too long so you can read it as a bed-time story.

My favorite thing about the book is illustrations. I believe, that it is the key to a successful children’s book. All pictures are colorful and vivid, that even makes you start smelling those things. It is a very simple, flat line drawing which is good for children because they can easily understand what is what. I like the fact, that the author took time and effort to illustrate the book himself. On each page, every picture relates to the text, and he added real objects on some pages, which makes it even more visually interesting.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, for making an interesting story out of basic things. I really liked reading it. I think you will have a good time reading this book with your child. Hopefully, Len Foley will write another unusual picture book in the near future.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Oxana Kim's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Sometimes it's great to sit back and enjoy a little children's book. The simplistic and straightforward way in which concepts are presented become a welcome break from adult life's complications. This particular book took something as simple as a sock and made a story from it. The illustrations also can be very entertaining to flip pages and just enjoy.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I really liked how the text in the book was written with colours that were identified using Sigfried's socks. I feel it'll help kids learn about colour. Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”