Review by Fuzaila -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Review by Fuzaila -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Fu Zaila »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book written and illustrated by Len Foley. Len Foley dedicates his book to Becky and Sofia, proclaiming that their stinky pile of socks inspired him to write the book.

It features a young boy named Sigfried, who is determined to find out the source of the stink emanating from his book. Throughout the twenty-six pages, you’ll find verses in which Sigfried describes all possible reasons that might be the cause of the smell. Each page has an artwork to accompany the words. Most of them are hand-drawn illustrations, while some are still-life pictures. We do not get to know the narrator or his general background. His name is only mentioned once in the whole book, and that’s only in the title. Foley introduces many gross possibilities for the stinky smell. From a rotten banana to dog pee – Sigfried gives a hilarious account of what each page smells like.

My favorite part was the illustrative narration. I loved the photography and editing. Every page has pictures of varied objects, ranging from food to a water hose. It can be an informative way to teach kids to spell household items, since particular words on each page are highlighted in a bigger font. I also loved that the lines were written in consistent verses - the author doesn’t try to rhyme using inappropriate words.

Towards the end of the book, Sigfried describes each of his colored socks. The name of each color is highlighted in the appropriate color, except for blue, which was highlighted in magenta. It was the only inconsistency I could find, but it is a significant mistake since children can get confused. I had hoped to see a more enlightening plot, but the lack of it was barely noticeable. It is clear that this book is meant to be a funny, light read. But kids who’re easily affected by gross descriptions might find this book disgusting. There are a few words which the intended audience might be unfamiliar with. However, parents reading out to their kids can beneficially utilize the chance to introduce new words to them.

There weren’t any noticeable spelling or grammatical errors, which isn’t surprising for a children’s book. The lines are easy to read; kids as well as adults would enjoy reading the book. There are laugh-out-loud moments and the book is hilarious in general. There isn’t any particular moral implied by the story, but it could inspire children to maintain cleanliness. Even though I’m easily grossed out by the mention of disgusting things, I was really entertained by this book. For these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to any kids aged three to seven years. Fair warning – if you don’t want to see toilets and flushes outside of your bathroom, stay away!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fuzaila's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I really enjoyed reading your review! You made a good observation about the discrepancy in the colors. I also appreciate that the rhyming wasn't forced. I'm sure that kids will have fun with this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Fuzaila wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 05:13 [Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book written and illustrated by Len Foley. Len Foley dedicates his book to Becky and Sofia, proclaiming that their stinky pile of socks inspired him to write the book.
Sounds like a fun book and what a fun reason for the author to choose to write a book.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

stacie k wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 13:23 I really enjoyed reading your review! You made a good observation about the discrepancy in the colors. I also appreciate that the rhyming wasn't forced. I'm sure that kids will have fun with this book!
Yes, I was surprised not many other reviewers noticed it, it was obvious but maybe more to me because I have an artistic eye :) Glad you love my review, and Thank you for your kind comment!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Yssimnar wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:31
Fuzaila wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 05:13 [Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sounds like a fun book and what a fun reason for the author to choose to write a book.
Oh it is absolutely fun, I assure you! Lol, I loved that dedication part and decided it needed to make into my review. Thank you for your comment! :)
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Hope you had lot of fun reading this children's book
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

sanjus wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 03:49 Hope you had lot of fun reading this children's book
I did! The book was hilarious :)
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read this book and had fun doing so. I found it hilarious. I think the illustrations, rhyming pattern, and use of color in the text which were identified by Sigfried's socks, will be most helpful to children. Nice review.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

The pictures in this book were quite colourful.I didn't enjoy the stink.I nearly threw up.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

That's interesting the author was off on a color. Great review. Awesome point about the household items.
:techie-studyingbrown:
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thanks for your review on this children's book. I like that you gave the author 4 out of 4 stars, but the stinky subject is just too stomach turning for me! :)
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Your review sounds refreshing. I've reviewed this book and agree with some of your deductions.Wonderful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review! I noted the discrepancies in font color, as well. Other than that, it was a fun book to read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”