Review by daydreaming reader -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by daydreaming reader -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by daydreaming reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drugs, money, a tangle of deceit and of course, a wedding that should never be. Anna and Rafe are close to their end game. The Prestons are going down this time. Of course, things do not always go as planned. As Anna receives a visit from someone from her painful past, she finds herself fighting for her relationship with Rafe. What follows is a nerve-racking conclusion to the Bad Boy Vibes trilogy.

Author HM Irwing released Heartaches 3 in September 2017. I have never read any of this author’s work before this, including the previous books of this trilogy.

On first delving into this book, I was utterly confused. Thus, I backtracked to do some research. This book picks off from where the second one ended. Therefore, there is a need to read the previous books to appreciate this very intricate plot. Unfortunately, since I have not read the previous books, I am unable to judge whether this book is a satisfying end to the trilogy. What I can say, however, is that the plot of this book was quite intriguing.

This is a fast-paced book, with a lot happening in just over a hundred pages. I commend the author on this, since, most times I find that these type of books are slow-paced, with very little going on. However, that is not the case with this book as the twists and turns are always coming.

There are many characters in this book; most of whom I assume the author introduced in the previous books, because this book did not contain many details of the characters. All of the characters contributed to the development of the plot.

There is a lack of formatting, which made reading difficult. For instance, there are times when the point of view changes from one character to another and I did not realize until a few paragraphs afterwards. There are also many run-on sentences. I also felt that many of the sentences were too wordy. At times, I had to re-read the sentences to understand. I think some of the phrases would have been more effective had the author used the standard terminology. For example, instead of rain, the author instead uses sky juice.

It appears that the author prefers a more dramatic style of writing, which, in my opinion, led to a degree of fluffiness. This fluffiness decreases as the story progresses. I felt as though the book had not undergone professional editing, as there are several errors, including issues regarding inconsistent capitalization.

I would recommend this book to those who like romance, particularly romantic-dramas, or romantic action. Some elements of this book may appeal to readers who like angst as well since most of the characters had uneasy roles. This book does not explicitly describe any rape scene. However, there is constant mention of one. The book does not contain any gruesome scenes; but the target audience is adults.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The story line is intriguing, and I would have had a much bigger appreciation for it had I read the two previous books. However, due to the flaws as explained previously, the plot does not flow as well as it should. I think that with more emphasis on editing and formatting, it would be a great quick read.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Even though you missed the first two books, you seem to have a good grasp of the complete story. I haven't read any of these "Heartaches," but I have seen many reviews of all the three books. This third one seems to be the tamest as the rape is not detailed.

I hope to read more from you, Daydreaming reader!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Hey, this book sounds like it has a whole lot going on in just a few pages! Ok not really few pages, over a hundred pages. Great for a fast-paced tale, but the grammatical and editorial errors seem to detract from the story. I was also not too impressed that the story immediately jumped into the current action without really giving a sense of what happened in the previous books of the trilogy, leaving one confused if they didn't already know what happened previously. Hopefully the author makes up for this by delivering a riveting and satisfying narrative that makes the book worth its read.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I always think that a book, even one in a series should be able to stand alone. I think I probably enjoyed your review more than I will enjoy the book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Uggg, I can't stand this author. Sounds like you got a pretty good gist of their writing style. I'm suspicious of anyone who gives Irwing anything higher than a 2...
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I too was utterly confused from the outset! And I also found the language overly dramatic - the sky juice description killed me. Very good review, thanks.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Honest review! I've read many other reviews for this book but none of it explained the need to read the previous books in the trilogy. Thank you for your review :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I haven't read the first book so I guess I won't be able to appreciate this one's intricate plot. However, because of the flaws you mentioned, I don't think it would be worth me reading the first book since the writing style will probably be similar.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”