Review by Cotwani -- Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brand Real" by Vasken Kalayjian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Supposing Mr. Cadbury had been a brewer and Mr. Guinness a confectioner, would we today be drinking Cadbury stout and eating Guinness chocolate? How successful would Kodak be at present, had it not feared to bring digital photography to the market? Whenever you encounter the term ‘think outside the box,’ do you ever wonder what this box is and why it is assumed that you are inside of it? Did you know that one can actually learn to be creative, innovative and resilient? And, are you aware of the entrepreneur’s Achilles heel? In Brand Real, Vasken Kalayjian passionately delves into exploring the scenarios outlined above and many others.

Brand Real focuses on developing a brand that provides customers with real value, as well as building the kind of flexible organization with a strong values-based culture that can deliver on the brand’s promise. This non-fiction book upholds the principle that successful brands must be built on reality: products and services that deliver real value to customers and ways of doing business that reflect both the personal values of the entrepreneur and the values of the enterprise and its people. In a variety of topics aimed at equipping startup entrepreneurs for success, Kalayjian provides an in-depth account of skillful branding, in conjunction with developing an effective branding identity. The book has an ultimate outcome of assisting the entrepreneur to distill the essence of who he/she is and what he/she offers into a memorable, evocative and convincing set of names, symbols, and taglines that convey key benefits, differentiates the enterprise from the competition and communicates positive feeling. It also empowers the entrepreneur to assemble the team and organization that will effectively drive and sustain the brand’s success. In addition, techniques for cultivating realistic optimism to help the entrepreneur persevere in the face of adversity, together with deep insights from experts in various specialties are shared throughout the book. The cherry on top is the provision of templates and crucial creation-details of vital tools contained in the appendices. These tools, created by experts in the relevant areas, are an invaluable resource for any entrepreneur. The tools include business and marketing plans, use of various types of social media in marketing, inbound marketing, legal issues, and the creative brief.

Written in a formal style, the book is educative, engaging and articulate. Each chapter ends with a summary of key highlights and exercises aimed at helping the reader implement principles discussed in the chapter. Thanks to his thirty-year extensive branding career and engagement with Fortune 500 companies, start-ups, not-for-profit organizations, and governments, Vasken Kalayjian leaves no stone unturned when it comes to ‘walking the walk’ of building the successful brand. He does not shy away from discussing the mistake of a known brand when making a point. He explains the benefits of values and also provides a non-exhaustive list of values. Not only does he encourage one to be resilient in the face of failure, but he also goes a step further to disclose how one can cultivate this resilience!
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
—Jim Horning, American computer scientist
I had an exciting tuition-free learning adventure with Brand Real! Did you know that a word can sound large or small, strong or weak, even light or dark? Did you also know that brand names containing sounds called plosives are historically more successful? It was fun discovering how brand names and color complement brand promises, the character traits and key qualifications needed in a startup team and the place of common sense as opposed to abstract expert minds. Moreover, I wasn't disoriented by jargon because the book has a glossary that provides definitions of the special terms related to branding and graphic design!

Three things, however, dampened my reading experience of this book. First, due to the nature of its content, wordy and technical discourses in some parts of the book couldn’t be avoided. This was made worse by the continuous flow of the book from the first chapter to last, as is common in novels. Dividing the book into three sections, namely The Brand, The Team/Organization, and Entrepreneurial Character Development would have provided two benefits. These are mental breaks and improved ease of reference. Secondly, though the use of expert advice was by and large very beneficial, there were instances when some expert advice deflated the ‘can do’ attitude the book had already nurtured in the preceding sections. I suspect this was done in a bid to market the experts’ firms. Check this out:
The only reliable way to find good names that are catchy, good for search engines, and easily marketable, is to turn to the professionals and hire a branding agency with a proven record of success.
Finally, I found one of the ways proposed for cultivating a certain entrepreneurial trait unrealistic, escapist or the proverbial ‘ostrich hiding its head in the sand!' Read the book to find out if you will agree with me on this one! Though the book appears professionally edited, it still has a few errors. These are mostly awkward sentences and missing words. Fortunately the errors do not interfere with the flow of the content.

Because of the issues above, I rate Brand Real 3 out of 4 stars. I do not hesitate to recommend it to business students, and to entrepreneurs - both in reality and at heart! Allow me to reiterate that though Brand Real is designed as a handbook for startup entrepreneurs, established enterprises can also up their success and competitive advantage by making reference to it. ‘Nonbusiness’ oriented individuals also stand to gain from learning how to cultivate some good character traits like optimism and resilience. I therefore finally recommend the book to any person wishing to learn how to spot that silver lining on every cloud, and how to bounce back from drawbacks! As Kalayjian put it, no one sets out to fail. But if you do, allow yourself a period of time to recover and then, bounce back!

Brand Real
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book will be good choice for entrepreneurs who want to build up their brand through proper marketing strategies. The book is quite informative but the author should eliminate all the loopholes mentioned above. Thanks for your honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I went on a journey spanning the whole book in a matter of minutes via your wonderful review. Thanks for the thorough, organized, and candid insight. :tiphat:
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Oh, I love your review! First, I love the genre because I am a business person. Then I love how you broke down the pros and cons of the book. Overall, I can see that the book will be of benefit to me personally, and it certainly will end up in my reading book list! Great job right there.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love finding out how businesses began and how they chose their audience/ service. Its cool to learn through example and figure out how others succeeded.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The details in your read are resourceful it made me think for a while specially about think-outside-the-box. Thank you for your descriptive and resourceful review, but I'm not a person who enjoys text reads so I will pass this, but one again, thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

"..no one sets out to fail. But if you do, allow yourself a period of time to recover and then, bounce back!", inspiring words indeed. As a part-time entrepreneur, I find this book very helpful. Thanks for your insightful review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 02:37 This book will be good choice for entrepreneurs who want to build up their brand through proper marketing strategies. The book is quite informative but the author should eliminate all the loopholes mentioned above. Thanks for your honest review.
Indeed the book is a resource, not just in marketing strategies but the whole aspect of creating a brand. Thanks so much for stopping by and giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 04:42 I went on a journey spanning the whole book in a matter of minutes via your wonderful review. Thanks for the thorough, organized, and candid insight. :tiphat:
Rubs, I appreciate that you took time to read my review and shared such kind words!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 16:36
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 04:42 I went on a journey spanning the whole book in a matter of minutes via your wonderful review. Thanks for the thorough, organized, and candid insight. :tiphat:
Rubs, I appreciate that you took time to read my review and shared such kind words!
Sorry Ruba, the auto-correct messed your name.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

joycechitwa wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 13:41 Oh, I love your review! First, I love the genre because I am a business person. Then I love how you broke down the pros and cons of the book. Overall, I can see that the book will be of benefit to me personally, and it certainly will end up in my reading book list! Great job right there.
Go for it, the book is a gem to every business person. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback. I appreciate!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 18:46 I love finding out how businesses began and how they chose their audience/ service. Its cool to learn through example and figure out how others succeeded.
The book may not have case studies of businesses per se but good and bad examples of famous brands are examined. Thanks for reading my review and giving feedback. I truly appreciate!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:23 The details in your read are resourceful it made me think for a while specially about think-outside-the-box. Thank you for your descriptive and resourceful review, but I'm not a person who enjoys text reads so I will pass this, but one again, thank you!
The term think outside the box sprung from 'nowhere' and rapidly spread like a bush fire! It didn't appeal to me, especially considering my former boss used to use it as a 'duh' retort!! Anyway, thanks for stopping by and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 15:29 "..no one sets out to fail. But if you do, allow yourself a period of time to recover and then, bounce back!", inspiring words indeed. As a part-time entrepreneur, I find this book very helpful. Thanks for your insightful review.
You can count on the book to boost your entreprenueral skills. I appreciate you reading the review and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Vasken seems to have an impressive career in branding. If someday I decide to start my own company, I wouldn't hesitate to call him as a consultant. IF I could afford him, of course.

Love the review! Keep them coming! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”