Review by kfwilson6 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a S...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by kfwilson6 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a S...

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inca & Company is back for another adventure, only this time the animal detective group is visiting the gorgeous island of Sri Lanka in Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat. This is Inca’s seventh adventure written by R.F. Kristi. In order to solve another mystery, Inca is ready to get her paws dirty - or sandy in this case. Inca and her family are happily basking on the golden beach of Sri Lanka and meeting and learning about various animals while they do so. Inca does not mind when the theft of an antique sword interrupts her sunbathing; she greatly enjoys her status as a great detective. The feline investigator utilizes the assistance of a sea turtle, a baby elephant, and the baby elephant’s mother to solve this latest crime.

Kristi begins the story by introducing Inca’s friends and family. Each animal’s introduction includes a picture and a brief biography. I found this to be an important element of the book because there are quite a few characters to keep track of, and Kristi is able to distinguish one character from another right from the beginning. The images of each character are distinct and unique which makes it easier to keep track of who is who throughout the story. Kristi also develops each character’s personality throughout the book. With so many characters, one might think it would be hard for an author to give them each a unique personality. However, Kristi does this quite successfully.

Each character’s personality also shines through in the illustrations. Each image is bright and fun. They will really add to a child’s enjoyment of the book, especially the image of Inca dressed up like royalty. The only thing I don’t care for is that Inca is typically depicted with a sour look on her face. This doesn’t align with her fun, sassy personality.

Kristi introduces more than her main characters to her young readers. She also introduces an array of interesting animals, including sea turtles, elephants, monkeys, pythons, and leopards. The reader learns interesting details about the various animals, such as the fact that sea turtles can live to be more than 100 years old. I like this small educational aspect. The educational element is subtle, which I think will be appealing to both children and their parents. Children are also subtly reminded that anyone can be a friend no matter how different they may seem. They are taught that everyone can be helpful, and their efforts and contributions should be appreciated.

The only thing that Serendipity Mystery lacks is the actual mystery part. The discovery of the whereabouts of the missing item plays a very small role in the book, and the answer is laid out very quickly and succinctly without any investigative work on the part of Inca & Company. The Sri Lankan characters provide all of the information Inca is searching for in order to wrap up the mystery.

Serendipity Mystery is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. The story itself is worth only three stars as a result of the lack of mystery and detective work involved. I also would have to withhold the fourth star for the number of errors I encountered throughout the book. There are several typos including tempter instead of temper, reading instead of ready, and imagery instead of imaginary. There are also quite a few missing ending quotations, missing commas, and unnecessary commas. These errors did not detract from my enjoyment of the story, but they do need to be addressed to ensure that children are reading books that provide them with examples of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Children between the ages of 8 and 12 will enjoy this story. Those on the younger end of this age bracket may need assistance with some advanced vocabulary that Kristi uses. The illustrations and lack of complexity to the story should keep them engaged. Older children will enjoy learning new words and discovering new things about animals they may have seen at the zoo!

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think it's so smart that the author introduces the group at the beginning. Especially seeing as this is the seventh book in the series. At least it will get new readers into the swing of things :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oooh, I'd like to read this book. I am curious about how the exotic animals of Sri Lanka will help find the sword. How can two elephants be stealthy? How does a turtle hurry to find clues?

Though way, way older than the target audience, I shamelessly admit to being an Inca fan.

Thanks for the fun review, Kfwilson6! Glad this one got out quickly
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked how you described the book. I agree that the characters were introduced clearly and that they all seem to have their own unique personality. I didn't notice that Inca was shown without smiling. I figured she was seriously thinking about her cases.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

LV2R wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 21:24 I liked how you described the book. I agree that the characters were introduced clearly and that they all seem to have their own unique personality. I didn't notice that Inca was shown without smiling. I figured she was seriously thinking about her cases.
Even when she is eating ice cream she is cranky! I really loved how one of the first pictures she is seen reading a copy of Serendipity Mystery. I really wanted to fit that into my review somewhere but couldn't make it work.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is great. The review is very profound and I enjoyed reading it. It is nice to read that there are a lot of subtle lessons in the story that children can learn. The lesson that anyone can become a friend and the need t appreciate that others can help is also fantastic. I had not noticed that the article was found in such an easy manner.
I hope that the author will consider editing the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love that there are subtle lessons to be learned! It strikes me as funny that the “mystery” is missing from this mystery story! I guess with six preceding cases, they don’t have to work as hard at it? Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Lovely review. I agree, some element of wisdom is necessary in children's books - it's the best way to make them aware of facts than actually teaching them.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I read one of these books, and just don't really have a desire to read any of the others. Thanks for the review though!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I think it’s unforgivable to produce children’s books with errors in them. They will be basing their linguistic skills on what they see in their books.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Haven't had the pleasure to read this book but I did read the first one of the series. Was very enjoyable. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm always amazed at what thorough reviews are provided on children's book. I appreciate the insight and thought that goes into the review. I agree, if you are going to get the editing correct in any book, it should be a book for children. Maybe I will blame my complete lack of understanding on how commas work on the books from my childhood!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I loved the way the author integrated educational aspects with the story. However, I consider the errors to be a major drawback, considering the fact that this is a children's book.

Thank you for the insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”