Review by Oscar Osman -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by Oscar Osman -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Oscar Osman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met by Rob White is a book that is inclined to inspire readers in their everyday lives. Being a fan of self-help books, I could not dare to fail to read this book that is full of motivational stories from the beginning to the end.

Rob is open and honest as he narrates to us his life from when he was young to his adulthood days. One story that thrilled me is that they live near a little known town that has two factories and that this couple of factories is the chief employer to the residents of the town and its environs. Rob’s dad and grandpa for instance had aked out a living from these factories. As if it is a norm, Rob is equally expected to secure a job in these factories. I eventually loved, how Rob succedds in beating the odds and becoming successful without working for these factories.

Rob qualifies for a career in teaching before proceeding to businesses in real-estate development and establishment of restaurants. But since all these were not achieved overnight, Rob narrates to us on how he achieved his success in life by telling us the key events that played crucial roles in shaping and defining his life.

The author tells us how he meets several ordinary people, the “gurus” that played significant roles in ensuring that his life takes a new course. I admired how he interacts freely with people from different walks of life. This is important to us that we should not always prejudge other people for we do not know what tomorrow brings. Perhaps they are the keys to your success in life. The most significant “guru” is a little girl, Margaret, thus the title And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I have Met.

This book is composed of various chapters and Rob White begins each chapter by first explaining to us the myths that he was marred in before going ahead to explain to us the stories he got from the ordinary people that made his life take a new path. The use of myths in the story spearheaded my understanding of the messages the author is willing to convey to us.

The orderly arrangement of the stories from Rob’s days when he was young to when he is a grown up. This makes the story and the author acceptable to readers belonging to different age brackets, whether you are a child, a youth or an adult. The stories are precious making them easy to understand and comprehend. The main lesson I learned this story is that we should always move away from misleading information and ideologies that are capable of preventing us from achieving our goals in life.

I would recommend And Then I Met Margaret to lovers of self-help books since it will leave you inspired and encouraged. Because I failed to notice and mistakes in this story, I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Oscar Osman's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Self help books are always a treat! I love how you came away from this book inspired, it makes me eager to read it for myself too. The author's writing style seems acceptable to all ages and calibers of readers. The important lesson that we should not undermine the people we meet in life for we never know when we are going to need their help, is very critical. Thanks for this review.
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

joycechitwa wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 08:46 Self help books are always a treat! I love how you came away from this book inspired, it makes me eager to read it for myself too. The author's writing style seems acceptable to all ages and calibers of readers. The important lesson that we should not undermine the people we meet in life for we never know when we are going to need their help, is very critical. Thanks for this review.
Thanks for reading my review. I hope you are purposing to give this book a try.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

I did my first review on this book. Wow it is so inspiring, I loved every chapter. Iam a big fan of self help books this one helped me to let go of failure, start over again.
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

Asavela wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 13:16 I did my first review on this book. Wow it is so inspiring, I loved every chapter. Iam a big fan of self help books this one helped me to let go of failure, start over again.

I loved your review thanks.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Asavela wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 13:16 I did my first review on this book. Wow it is so inspiring, I loved every chapter. Iam a big fan of self help books this one helped me to let go of failure, start over again.
Certainly worth a shot! My favorite category of books are self help and inspirational - that's besides business development ones! I would go for a fiction or historical one once in a while, but not too much because I prefer engaging with stuff that will leave me at a better place than before.
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

joycechitwa wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 01:19
Certainly worth a shot! My favorite category of books are self help and inspirational - that's besides business development ones! I would go for a fiction or historical one once in a while, but not too much because I prefer engaging with stuff that will leave me at a better place than before.
Absolutely

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”