Review by volkeenterprises -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
volkeenterprises
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-volkeenterprises.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by volkeenterprises -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by volkeenterprises »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming The Dragon by Alex Sapegin is a story about a 16 year old boy named Andy Kerimov living in Russia. He was struck by lightning as a younger boy and was hoping for some type of special power due to that but all that has happened is if he gets near any computer it freezes up. He no longer can enjoy playing computer games and has taken other hobbies such as reading and being taught how to accurately shoot bow and arrow with historically accurate equipment.

He is thrown into a manmade portal when he stumbles onto a scientific testing which has him teleporting to the planet of Ilanta. On this planet are humans and supernatural beings alike. He finds himself in situations that he is constantly fighting for his freedom and his life. In the process he is learning that he has magical skills too! Andy is fatally wounded during a torture procedure but manages to escape and helps the Dragon in the next cell to escape as well. This dragon flies Andy away to safety. In order to save his life he agrees to go through the painful process of becoming a dragon which could kill him but if he does not proceed he would die.

He succeeds in becoming a dragon and has to go through rigorous training in order to be a dragon. Part of this also is studying to learn the languages and cultures of this new world and all of its inhabitants. He is also determined to learn how to open one of the ports so that he can go home.

Alex Sapegin has created a whole new world in Becoming The Dragon. Not only does he paint a clear picture of the world itself and the land features but also of the different creatures that reside on the planet. He Includes their history, religious beliefs and cultures. He leaves nothing to guess at. You feel Andy’s pain as he changes into the dragon and his loss of his prior life. This is a story that will be enjoyed by anyone that likes the sci-fi or fantasy genre

It was difficult to keep all of the names straight on who they were and what type of creature they were. It became even more complicated when religious beliefs were being taught to Andy as there were many names of gods and historical places and times mentioned.

I would rate the book Becoming the Dragon a 3 out of 4 stars. The book has a very good story line and keeps you enthralled throughout however in building such a unique world he gets bogged down in providing more details than you need and it makes it difficult to remember all the names and what they did in the history of this world or in their religious beliefs. It is possible that this is done to prepare you for the upcoming books. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

I have noted only one error that I saw in my reading. The error was at location 3522. The sentence was written, “What did they do that to you for.” Confusing sentence

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like volkeenterprises's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Interesting review about a boy who eventually turned into a dragon in a foreign planet called Ilanta. This sounds like a sci-fi targeted for teens and young adults. Being just one book in a series, it makes me wonder what adventures Andy will experience as a dragon, and whether he will possibly turn back into human. Thanks for this review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”