Review by frnkelove -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
frnkelove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frnkelove.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by frnkelove -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by frnkelove »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastoring is not what you think
By Elijah Oladimeji

Pastoring is not what you think is a book about the life of a pastor. It follows Pastor Job, a servant of God and a man of faith. We see him in situations where a typical pastor would go through in their daily life such as his relationship with his wife Lorraine, the church, the landlord, couples, men and women, and even strangers. We get to visualize how sees the world and how his faith is unwavering even in the most difficult situations. In some chapters, we get to experience his sermons and the reasons why he would use them. While other chapters show his life outside of church and how his job in delivering the message of the lord is never really done. Other titles that I have searched about this book such as “our pastor has gone mad again” comes from the fact that Pastor Job often talks to himself we first see this in the introduction and how it can affect how people perceive him.

What got me to review this book was definitely the title; it gave off an ominous tone and as a fan of much darker books, it piqued my interest. Surprisingly, the book is not what I thought it was, but it was pleasantly positive and an easy to read book. Except maybe for the long sermons that you find in every other chapter, I didn’t enjoy it as much because my attention was definitely being challenged at those parts of the book.

My favourite part was actually the continuation of Rodriguez’s story. It was pleasing to find out what had happened to him after contacting Pastor Job and it was nice to know that it had a satisfying ending to his story. The reason why I liked Rodriguez’s story not to give in to too much detail, Pastor job he is a complete stranger asking for his prayers. It is fascinating to note on how Pastor Job thought about this situation given that Rodriguez is a stranger to him and why he shouldn’t really bother with him.

My least favorite part is the interaction between Lorraine and Pastor Job. The story about the car was the least riveting and more of an irksome experience for me, with Lorraine just feeling like a troublesome character for Pastor Job to deal with. I mean being a pastor’s wife; you would think she would be more understanding.

Overall, I would give this book 3 out of 4, it was a light read, an easy to follow story, and it didn’t really have large amount of dull moments. I’d think people who Christian faith would enjoy this book not just protestant. I for one personally an atheist did enjoy this book and would recommend this to other people for a good read.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like frnkelove's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This is one of the few books I have come across that is a fiction story following the life of a pastor. The title of the book, nonetheless, is strange, to say the least and really evokes curiosity. Too bad that the pastor's wife, of all the characters, comes out as one having a nagging and unlikable character. I can't see much of a story line for this one, but seeing that you gave it 3 out of 4 stars, the book was overally very interesting in spite of its setbacks. Thank you for this review!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I didn't enjoy reading this book, especially because Pastor Job hardly showed any emotion throughout and I couldn't relate to him.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”