Review by Al Chakauya -- I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Al Chakauya -- I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Al Chakauya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Can See Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Utopia, where there’s always peace is every child’s dream. I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn is an endearing children’s book. The book tackles the issue of peace in a very interesting manner. It is the second book in the instalment.

The story takes the reader on a journey to find peace. The author tells a story of remarkably peaceful moments. Such happy moments can be disturbed by fighting of parents at home. The book looks at the concept of finding peace in a simple but fun way. Julie guides the reader on how peace can be found in the strangest of places. She emphasises on various ways of finding peace. Can peace be maintained? Well, read on, and find out for yourself, whether at the end of the day you can safely say, ‘I Can See Peace’.

What I liked most in the book were the vivid illustrations- a great way of capturing the attention of the reader. I also liked the big pictures which related well to the corresponding text. Each page or double page contained a sentence or two, which made the book age appropriate. Most of the sentences started with the words, ‘I can see peace’. This repetitive structure is a great way to improve fluency. I liked the charming characters in the drawings- children can easily relate to these, allowing for self-reflection.

I recommend the book to emerging readers, due to its short sentences and endearing illustrations. Children who cannot read can also enjoy the book- they can flip the pages and enjoy the beautiful drawings. The book will make a great bedtime story where adults can read the story aloud to children. I also recommend the book to pre-school teachers- they will make use of the guidelines and discussion questions given at the end of the book to probe the learners into discussion. The notation for the song, ‘I Smile at Myself’, will definitely bring joy to those who enjoy singing- a clever way to spackle the interest of kids.

I Can See Peace is a short, cute story that oscillates between euphoria, tragedy and farce. The language used is simple, save for a few big words like ‘interrupted’- a great way for children to learn new words. I found the editing of the book to be flawless as I did not come across any typing or grammatical errors. I will not find peace if I can’t award such a vibrant book, a perfect score. Due to the aforementioned reasons, I Can See Peace deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I Can See Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Al Chakauya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the idea of children reading about peace.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 19:41 I love the idea of children reading about peace.
A great book which teaches children to find peace and solve conflict amicably. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”