Review by Charine -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Charine -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

Post by Charine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Barbra Streisand: On the Couch" by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read the raw pdf file of this book which greatly influenced my overall view. What I couldn't find in this book, was an indication that Ms. Streisand gave permission to the author allowing for the publishing of these intimate details about her long and illustrious life. Having mentioned these two facts, I will place it on a shelf to produce an unbiased review.

Within the opening lines the reader is captivated by the unconventional journal-like style used by the author to describe her first meeting. It happened on the author's birthday and she was in the process of locking up her practice, in order to get home for her celebrations when a loud knock sounded on the door.

A frumpy looking woman with elegantly manicured hands was at the door, calling out loudly, in a heavy Brooklyn accent: "Open up Doc! You're supposed to be a doctor, aren'tcha? Well, I wanna see ya!"

The author felt a bit intimidated, yet curious and opened the door to a patient who would become her most favourite subject, influencing her about as much as she would help cure Ms. Streisand - whom has spent roughly 30 unsuccessful years in therapy.

The counselling sessions span over the course of one year and ends with a game between analyst and patient, leaving the reader feeling satisfied - no cliffhanger ending here. Quite an extensive bibliography is included at the end of the novel reinforcing the fact that Ms. Streisand has been an evergreen celebrity for many decades.

Witty humour has been used freely in this literary compilation which leads to extensive character building of the two main characters - doctor and patient. The reader can enjoy a wide range of emotions as they can relate to many of the events, although a few are very outlandish and reserved for those enjoying celebrity status!

The author ensured her book will not be incomprehensible to non Yiddish readers and/or laymen by providing translations of the Yiddish phrases in easy to read (and understand!) language. It is quite an experience to read a book that allows you a glimpse into the often "closed to the patient" mind of an analyst, basically removing the expressionless mask they are prone to carry.

This book deserves 4 stars, however due to my ethical nature I have to subtract 1 star for the simple fact that this specific copy has not been edited properly. Therefore I rate Barbra Streisand: On the Couch 3 out of 4 stars. These 348 pages are recommended firstly to fans of Ms. Streisand and secondly to mature readers as it contains content not suitable for our younger audience.

Barbra Streisand: On the Couch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This had been one of our Book of the Day pieces in recent months. Like you, what caught my attention was its unique way of presenting a popular figure's story. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your great review. I remember this book being BOTD and it did not appeal to me. Glad you enjoyed it
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I appreciate your concern over whether or not permission was granted to divulge such personal information. The doctor-patient relationship is a unique way to relay the information. I hope the editing issues have now been taken care of. Good job on this review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I had read the first ten pages of this book when it was the BOTD. I felt sorry about Barbara's 30 years of unsuccessful therapy. I was so busy that I wasn't able to read on. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have noticed this book so many times but I missed the opportunity to read this book. Yet the reviewer provides a pleasant statement about this read which I'm satisfied by it. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I have always liked Barbara Streisand, her singing voice as well as her acting. The book makes me wonder how much is real or fiction about Streisand's counseling sessions. I am sure it would be an interesting read but would be even more so if it were clear that it was based on facts about Streisand.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I've never heard of Barbra Streisand before but I would like to read this biography out of my curiousity. Thanks for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It would be interesting to meet the unmasked doctor and experience the witty humor! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am not a fan of Barbara and I don't think I would be interested in this book. I think the author should have mentioned if the singer gave permission. Your score is fair. Thanks for your review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Are these her real therapy sessions? Is it a narrative resource? I really hope Ms. Streisand gave her permission, otherwise, I think it’s highly unethical to publish her personal problems.
If I ignore that doubt I think I’d enjoy this book. It’s interesting how, even if we see their lives as perfect, celebrities are people like us, in the sense that nobody can escape some form of hardship.
Great review, thank you!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review (again)! Sounds like an interesting book, shame about the errors though.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Barbara Streisand had a long and illustrious career. This book seems to give a deep insight into her life. However, it would be truly unethical if she had not given permission to the author to publish her personal problems. Especially keeping in mind the doctor-patient confidentiality.

Thank you for the great review.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

Thank you to each and everyone's positive comments on this review!!!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”