Review by mz_ejay -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mz_ejay
Currently Reading: Millionaire Mom $5K to $6.5MM Real Estate Investing (You Can, Too!)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mz-ejay.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Review by mz_ejay -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by mz_ejay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The surgeon’s wife by William H. Coles' is a dramatic tale based around the lives of two prominent surgeons and one woman. The Surgeon's Wife takes readers on a fictional journey that will keep them intrigued from the beginning. The issues that arise in The Surgeon's Wife start off with one of the main characters, Clayton Otherson, making a major mistake during surgery. His former student and the current chair of the OR committee, Mike Boudreaux, tries to protect his mentor, but ethically and professionally he knows he must protect the patients.

Eventually, a love triangle comes into play and Mike and Catherine Otherson, Clayton's wife, become lovers. With numerous challenges facing both the Othersons and Mike, the Surgeon's Wife will keep readers on tenterhooks from start to finish. From the very first page the action flowed nonstop, with great character development and enough of a hook (romantic, professional and personal with the characters) that made me feel like I wanted to know how it would all turn out. And in no way could I have predicted some things going down the way they did crazy, sad and tragic at times.

William Coles crafts an authentic, engrossing novel that was such an interesting blend of almost everything, from romance to danger to suspense, to complex medical happenings… it is really hard to just sum up or categorize it easily not just a romance or a medical drama, this book has its dark and disturbing moments, but also its wonderful and that is what made it so good. I hate books that are super predictable, and this one isn’t at all. Some parts almost make me feel like I’m right there in the story with Mike, Clayton and Catherine and everyone else.

The characters of Mike, Clay, Catherine, Rosie, Mellissa (and the others) were genuine and believable, and I think what I liked the most about this book was just the overall feel the author managed to create where it felt intimate, like we are really there in their heads as this story unfolds, feeling the things they are feeling and seeing and experiencing. Like we are there in the OR or the Doctor’s meetings. This is a dark, intelligent story that is both easy and entertaining to read, yet deeply intense at the same time.

I thought the story to be extremely well-rounded with different topics, from drama in surgery, to marital affairs, to family strife and professional crisis, and the characters are nicely fleshed out. There were some minor editing and punctuation errors, nothing too major, I was encouraged by the ending and liked where it seemed to lead. Makes me wish there was another chapter. I rate this book 3 out of 4 and I recommend this book to anyone (adults) who enjoy a well-written, character-driven novel with unexpected twists.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like mz_ejay's review? Post a comment saying so!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I really enjoyed reading this book. However, Mike and Catherine's relationship felt so sudden and forced to me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”