Review by Britty01 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Britty01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia by Tom Gariffo is a journey into a dystopian society in the year 2058.

Agent Sliver is a covert operative, who has been working for Fellrock of World, Incorporated, during the last four years. The world is under the control of five supercorporations. Whichever one has control over a zone or city has a monopoly on security, utilities, and media for that area. They are ruthless in their need for control, continually monitoring their rivals and attempting to steal their customers. When one of them seizes control of a territory, a battle ensues between the security forces of the other supercorporations.

Sliver travels in an airship known as the Chrome Wind, controlled by a sophisticated computer, named Franklin. As a new mission is defined Sliver works out a plan, and Franklin calculates the outcome. Essential data exists in the digital device on Sliver's wrist. Sliver sees the mission as just another job, a means to an end. He feels nothing other than a desire to kill Ancorn.

We first encounter Agent Sliver in the heartland of America. After his targets die in an explosion, he returns to the ship with a female survivor. This action becomes the catalyst for changing the course of his life. As events unfold, he begins to question things from his past.

On board the ship, Kelly reads a series of news articles from 2023 to the present day. One can appreciate her comatose state after reading these, not only because of their length but also the catastrophic events they describe. World governments became unstable, society crumbled, resulting in supercorporations taking control. Humans became their consumers and employees. There are no nations or countries. A registry is used to store personal data on everyone who comes into the system. Crime is low or non-existent. A solar screen artificially keeps temperatures down. People have access to education, medical care, healthy food, and life expectancy is rising, but things may not be all as they seem.

Apart from a little foul language, the story is enjoyable, with plenty of action to keep the reader engaged. I like the interaction between Sliver and Kelly as it provides a deeper insight into the complexity of Sliver’s makeup. It is easy to condemn him as a cold-blooded murderer. As the reader learns more about his past, it is difficult not to feel empathy for him.

I found the conversations between Sliver and Franklin to be humorous. The violence in the novel did not appear to be overly graphic. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and humor. The comment from Rex to Franklin when he said, “Open wide, Commodore sixty-four” made me smile. I got a visual on what Rex saw as the difference in his own sophisticated programming compared to Franklin. Some of the author’s descriptions are quite poetic and moving. One example is, “Sliver only knelt, stunned to his soul, feeling now for the first time the enormity of a just fraction of the true pain his actions had brought on so many others.”

A few things struck me as I read various parts of the book. The robotic, bipedal weapons portray how inhumane this technology can be and how easy it is for someone to use it from a remote location, without considering the cost of human life. I noticed the greed of the CEOs and the Board of Directors behind them. It made me think, the more things change, the more they stay the same. When Franklin mentioned, “Biological intelligence has been obsolete since the 2020’s." I wondered how, and in what way.

I felt the novel was well-written and professionally edited. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those that enjoy dystopian novels, science fiction, or have an interest in history, and current events. I rarely read dystopian novels, so I am glad that I gave this one a try, it was worth it.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I can't recall reading any dystopian novel (except Animal Farm?). I want to give World Inc a try and after that George Orwell's 1984 which has featured in a lot of discussions. Nice review.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This is a compelling review. I was on the fence about whether or not to read this one. But it sounds like I shouldn't miss the opportunity.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

ea_anthony wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 03:39 I can't recall reading any dystopian novel (except Animal Farm?). I want to give World Inc a try and after that George Orwell's 1984 which has featured in a lot of discussions. Nice review.
Thank you for reading the review. I appreciate it very much. I read Animal Farm as a child and it took a second reading before I really grasped the story. I believe it is allegorical and a satire about the Russian Revolution. It does depict a world that one would not want to live in.

I have not read 1984 yet, I might now that I have read World, Incorporated and found that there are some dystopian novels that I do enjoy.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 08:19 This is a compelling review. I was on the fence about whether or not to read this one. But it sounds like I shouldn't miss the opportunity.
Thank you for reading the review, it is appreciated. Like you I was not sure when I read the first chapter, but once I dipped my feet into the proverbial pond I was hooked.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Great review! It's so true, the more things change, the more they stay the same. This should be the tagline of this book.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 13:23 Great review! It's so true, the more things change, the more they stay the same. This should be the tagline of this book.
Thank you Bianka for commenting, I appreciate it.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review. The reference to biological intelligence being obsolete since the 2020's has sold the book to me! It sounds like an excellent read.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Julie Green wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 06:22 Great review. The reference to biological intelligence being obsolete since the 2020's has sold the book to me! It sounds like an excellent read.
Thanks for reading. That got my attention too, amongst one or two other things hidden in the news articles. I could not help but wonder how it was done and why, as well as wondering what was not tampered with.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I once read a book where the goings on in the outside world were told at the top of each chapter with a news article. Perhaps that approach might have worked rather than producing it all in in one go?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 12:20 Great review. I once read a book where the goings on in the outside world were told at the top of each chapter with a news article. Perhaps that approach might have worked rather than producing it all in in one go?
Definitely an idea, I am not so sure in this one because it would have meant quite a bit of back and forth. It did fit in with the story as it was, because it was a logical way of Sliver bringing Kelly up to date with what had been going on in the outside world (as she had been sheltered from it) and a computer on a Space Ship is an ideal place for that. A bit more condensed would have been nice - perhaps if it appeared that Kelly was actually reading - out loud - the highlights from the article that caught her attention.

It would be interesting to know how and why the author chose to present it in the way he did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”