Review by Amanda Deck -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Review by Amanda Deck -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Amanda Deck »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastoring Is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

This is a look into the mind of a pastor trying to deal with life when his time is not his own. We see how Pastor Job deals with some specific situations: lack of rent money, being unable to buy a needed car for his family, and an illegal immigrant being deported and begging for his help. We are privy to his thoughts on guns and immigration, his being annoyed at being bothered when he expects time to recoup, and his belief that God is running the show and will always fix everything. The author dedicated this book to “…all those Christians who have many personal and family needs yet cry out in faith on behalf of others…”. Pastor Job in this story is definitely dealing with many needs of his own, yet still does spend his time, effort, and faith to see to the needs of the people in his congregation, and to those of other people he interacts with throughout his days.

Some of it was enjoyable to read but I didn’t like this much. The author did show God’s intervention, but the pastor seemed to spout “church-ese” without actually saying anything. Even though he expressed continual faith in God and praise, it came across as a knee-jerk reaction, an automated response that came out when he was spoken to. It’s understandable that he’s formed such a habit in his speech, but that’s all it seemed to be. His wife was demanding, rude, and insulting to him but, once again, he gave answers that sounded like automatic church talk.

The pastor apparently promised things to people (a financially comfortable life for his wife, a car for his mother-in-law) and expected God to bring about whatever they wanted. One incident made me wonder if the author was trying to say that God’s material blessings come about when one deserves them. The mother-in-law who needed a car was able to get one after she began volunteer work in a senior citizens’ home. The wife, who also needed a car, didn’t get one. Perhaps because she was acting rude, greedy, and entitled? She continually badgered Pastor Job to go buy her a car even though they didn’t have the money to pay rent.

I did like the pastor’s grateful joy when he saw things work out well for people. I also liked that he immediately prayed with people when any need came up. There was never a casual or dismissive, ”I’ll pray for you, you’re on my list.” This pastor learned of a need and took it to God right then and there. But when a group of young men wanted the pastor’s take on women, he told them about what the Bible said, surprising them to hear the Bible addresses sex and relationships. They wanted to hear more but he didn’t have time. When he walked away, he was thinking how stupid it is that people won’t look to God and the Bible for life advice -- right after the boys asked for information about exactly that!

His political views seem odd for a pastor, especially the way he assumes prohibitive gun laws passed by Congress would stop murder in the country. He’s a pastor! He should know that passing a law doesn’t change human nature, the laws against murder that we already have show that quite well. Besides that, his calling for intense government control and internet censorship to be increased appalled me. He’s supposed to be looking to God for protection, not the government.

I rate this 2 out of 4 stars. I had planned to only rate it 1, but when I thought about the story, I kept smiling. I don’t really know why, other than that it reminded of some things I’ve seen in life that are just like what happened in this book (the illegal immigrant getting not what he wanted, but something better, for one example). Besides, he had a bit of good advice for young readers. This is part of what the pastor was thinking to himself after speaking to some girls who wanted answers about men: Even before some break up with one person, they are already seeing another person. There is no time to reflect, consider the steps and mistakes of the past, and how to use that to create a better relationship.

People who have grown up in informal churches may not be put off by the way this pastor speaks. A religious Christian can get something good out of it even though it doesn't really give insight into what pastoring is like, despite the title. Instead, it seems like anyone dealing with the pressures of life.

Lots of mistakes. Lots of them. Not only was this not professionally edited, I don’t think it was even edited by an amateur. Also, the lack of use of contractions made the conversations sound quite odd, but that could be the way English is spoken where the author teaches.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amanda Deck's review? Post a comment saying so!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read and reviewed this book. The title intrigued me, but after reading, I was just as disappointed as you are. I hope the author does better in his next book.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I just read an article today about the great cost of being a pastor. It had a very different tone than this book seems to, though. I probably won't pick this one up, given the feedback you have provided. Thanks so much for sharing your insights!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Pastor Job does not sound like the best role model. Also, the idea that material things can be earned from God is ridiculous. Bad people can have riches too, unfortunately. I agree that his attitude towards the boys wanting to know what the bible says about sex and relationships was rude. There is so much information in the Bible, pastors are the ones the rest of us turn to in order to know where in the Bible to look when we have a certain topic/issue/interest we want to explore.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review. I don't think Pastors are supposed to be automatic robots who respond to every reaction in phrases of God, instead of actually believing in their own words.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Despite the low rating and editing issue, it sounds like an interesting read and a way to get into the mind of a pastor. If it went through a thorough editing process, I think I might actually consider reading it :lol: Thank you for your review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I have to wonder who the author is trying to reach with this book. To present his life and show others that he is just human, too? There are a lot of misconceptions about how pastors live (yes, the financial aspect of it is something that people don't give much thought about), and this could have turned out to be a very interesting piece. But the “church-ese” and the lack of editing are problems I can't look past. Thank you for this review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”