Review by ea_anthony -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Our Pastor has gone mad again has interesting themes, which generally to the best of my knowledge have not been thoroughly explored in other works. The themes are quite interesting, for example; the general image of the church pastor is of the superstar variant; however the truth is that for every one successful (superstar) pastor, there are thousands others, struggling to eke a living and/or grinding it out. Pastoring is really tough work. Unfortunately, this book seems to almost let us down in trying to explore and elucidate on the chosen themes.

One major challenge I took issues with was character development. I felt the characters were poorly developed. Pastor Job should ordinarily have been a very interesting character, but the author never truly succeeds in bringing him to life. Supporting characters like his wife Lorraine and his landlord Mr. Reed suffer the same fate. Dialogue was another challenge, not controlled, not paced and running all over the place or pages of the book. In fact the dialogue could be likened to white noise. The pacing of the story can at best be described as uneven. Other supporting characters flit in and out without making their mark or presence remembered.

Are there any redeeming factors in this book? Yes, there are; as earlier stated, the author had chosen some interesting themes to explore. Pastor Job also turns out somewhat likable. We are able to somehow experience the challenges he is going through, the being dragged in different directions and his faith in God. If the character of Pastor Jobโ€™s wife Lorraine had been more fully developed the dialogue between them would have been super. Nonetheless, their verbal sparring throughout the book gives some needed comic relief. Unfortunately since their motives are not well-defined, the true undertone of their relationship can only be guessed.

The church services and the public and personal prayers of our main character are spot on in my opinion. This is another plus for the book. There are snippets and whole lines which a Christian or aspiring Christian can borrow from or emulate. I really wish this book had delivered on its promise, which one glimpse in occasional flashes and short bursts. Nonetheless, I believe Elijah Oladimeji is almost onto something good. This was a brave piece of writing and Pastor Elijah might not be too far off from a workable formula.
There is a need to go back to the drawing board. All reviews and criticisms should be critically looked at and evaluated. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The editing was okay and there are almost no mistakes to note. I will be interested to see the next work Elijah Oladimeji puts out.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You are right the the character of a pastor might be interesting, if properly presented. Uneven pacing and inadequate narrative are big issues with the book. Thanks you mentioned it. Thank you so much for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The title of the book intrigued me, but I was just as disappointed as you are after I read it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is nice noting that the book was professionally edited. However, the little development of characters and bringing in others who appear not to have been really important reduced the rating of this book greatly. The unique themes handled are a plus to the author. Thanks for the review.
โ€œIt just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when thereโ€™s no guarantee of its availability.โ€
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘11 Aug 2018, 02:27 You are right the the character of a pastor might be interesting, if properly presented. Uneven pacing and inadequate narrative are big issues with the book. Thanks you mentioned it. Thank you so much for your thorough review.
My appreciation. Much promise for a great premise, unfortunately we are let down. I do believe however that Elijah Oladimeji can get it right with time.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

prospero360 wrote: โ†‘13 Aug 2018, 19:42 The title of the book intrigued me, but I was just as disappointed as you are after I read it.
Me more so based on Elijah being a Nigerian and the Our Pastor has gone mad again marketing gimmick. If you remember there was a popular literature book Our husband has gone mad again by Ola Rotimi back in the days.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

ea_anthony wrote: โ†‘16 Aug 2018, 08:53
prospero360 wrote: โ†‘13 Aug 2018, 19:42 The title of the book intrigued me, but I was just as disappointed as you are after I read it.
Me more so based on Elijah being a Nigerian and the Our Pastor has gone mad again marketing gimmick. If you remember there was a popular literature book Our husband has gone mad again by Ola Rotimi back in the days.
Exactly. I remember Our husband has gone mad again. Hopefully the author does better on his next book.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

prospero360 wrote: โ†‘16 Aug 2018, 11:56
ea_anthony wrote: โ†‘16 Aug 2018, 08:53
Exactly. I remember Our husband has gone mad again. Hopefully the author does better on his next book.
Exactly what I felt.

There is a need to go back to the drawing board. All reviews and criticisms should be critically looked at and evaluated
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

You spotted the "church services and the public and personal prayers of our main character " and I think its a nice mentioned.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

A tough topic to get readers interested in to begin with, and then make the book tough to read and that is a killer. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

jcoad wrote: โ†‘01 Oct 2018, 12:29 A tough topic to get readers interested in to begin with, and then make the book tough to read and that is a killer. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
You are right on both counts. I believe the author really had something special/interesting to say but somehow missed it. Thanks for the nice words.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I have read, reviewed, loved, and given this piece a perfect rating. Nonetheless, we all have our own unique perspectives, and I understand and respect yours. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Marรญa Andrea Fernรกndez Sepรบlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Marรญa Andrea Fernรกndez Sepรบlveda »

I appreciate your critical and well-founded review. The topics and the premise are interesting and important to discuss but without a well-developed plot and characters, it might be hards for readers to relate and engage with the subject. Thank you!

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€