Review by David Horta Alonso -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by David Horta Alonso -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by David Horta Alonso »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Heartaches 2 is the second series of the Heartache Bad Boy Vibes. It's a continuation of the love story between Rafael Prestons and Anna Stephens in their fight to secure justice for themselves. Yes, justice that is their right and one that they truly deserve. They are survivors of sexual abuse and are trying to move from their pasts. Will they succeed in their pursuit for justice? These are some questions that vibrates in the readers mind in the course of reading. Both Anna and Rafael are staying in the military base where sergeant Rafael is the instructor and Anna is undergoing her military training. She wants to be equipped with skills to protect her from their adversaries who keep resurfacing in their life at every opportune time. Thoughts on their enemies are a constant source of her nightmares. She sees them attack in her dreams, something she fears a lot and make her to scream heavily at night. Rafael is her protector even though he has his own shares of nightmares as well. He is her life.

I enjoyed the art of trickery as is portrayed in the book. The author uses trickery to solve situations within the book. For instance, Anna tricks Pat into a wrestling match to get him into informing his parents of his gayish status. They face each other into a wrestling match while at the military base. Anna wins the match and that leaves Pat with no option than informing his parents of his true status. His mother had been planning his marriage to a girl he barely knew. Moreover, Eric Dayton tricks Rafael into winning a wrestling match. He loses the game and resurfaces with new tricks to get back at him and Anna. This time he wins. He had Rafael kidnapped and places Anna's withdrawal of the suit against Prestons as the condition for his release. Anna obliges to his demands.

Additionally, I liked the manner in which the author broke monotony in the book's storyline by including the wrestling matches. That was excellent. I found the description of the fights entertaining. At some point, a person is completely in control of the fight that you may think it is all over only to lose in the end. Anyway, wrestling games have always been a source of entertainment since time immemorial. Stronger persons were normally held in high regards and as such entrusted with leadership positions. They could protect their communities.

In spite of the foregoing, I disliked the Prestons family. They are a family that thrives on crime and always find their way out of the justice system. They are beasts! A whole family raped Anna Simmons and gets away with it! How cruel could that be? What are the law enforcers doing? This is a manifest expression that something is really wrong with the justice system. I expected the guys to be charged or at least pay for their crimes. Being remorseful and asking for forgiveness is never enough. Jason is not even remorseful for raping the sedated Anna.

I would recommend the book to lovers of thrillers and crime novels. I'm sure they would be amused by the interactions between Anna and Rafael and their adversaries. The wrestling matches is just but to say the least. On the other hand, the book has a lot of adult content and as such is not the best for young children. They will not understand the issues therein.

I would give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It was interesting, it was nice. Though I encountered a few typing errors, that did not interfere with its flow. The plot was great. I deducted the one star because it's a series. There's still to come Heartache 3. The star is meant for character development and as such cannot be awarded until I learn about the ending of the series.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like David Horta Alonso's review? Post a comment saying so!
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

This is a plus. I loved the review.
Raul Fonoseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raul-fonoseca.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Raul Fonoseca »

I loved the summary of the book.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Good review.
Naja Saba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Naja Saba »

The reviewer properly understood the book.
Princess Clara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-clara.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Princess Clara »

I guess I will have to read the book. The review sounds interesting.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Interesting review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review David. I'm wondering why no other reviewer pointed out that the book composed of wrestling matches in between all the romance. That should be an interesting touch. Thank you for your review. :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Fuzaila wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 02:23 Great review David. I'm wondering why no other reviewer pointed out that the book composed of wrestling matches in between all the romance. That should be an interesting touch. Thank you for your review. :)
I agree, the wrestling matches were a nice surprise. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I didn't know that there were wrestling matches as well.
Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”