Review by CambaReviewer -- The Life and Lessons of a You...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by CambaReviewer -- The Life and Lessons of a You...

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Life and Lessons of a Young Author" by Sunayna Prasad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Life and Lessons of a Young Author
by Sunayna Prasad is a non-fiction book in which the author describes her experience in the field of creative writing and publishing. There are eight short chapters and twenty-five pages in the book. It contained several writing and publishing tips, but I will only highlight a few. Readers that want to learn more writing tips are encouraged to read the entire book.

One of the recommendations made by the author is that one should critically decide what genre to write in and what route of publishing to take. Unbiased feedback, preferably from people authors do not have a personal connection with, is also advocated. Sunayna advises authors to build author platforms even before publishing their first books. I have read this piece of advice from several books so there could be some truth in it. The art of reading books written by other authors is encouraged. The author believes that this will help readers understand how other writers apply writing rules to their work and how they execute their stories.

The author, as the title suggests, gives practical advice on the process of writing and publishing, based on her experience and mistakes. I liked and admired the honesty in the narrative. The book is written in simple everyday language that many people can understand with ease. However, I could deduce that the author learned English as a second language from the style of writing.

I understood the author’s account of the experience of editing a manuscript after getting feedback from some readers. It is not easy to critically edit and delete portions of a work which in the writer’s opinion is a masterpiece. I remember designing a very robust research protocol many years ago. It took several meetings with my supervisor and other lecturers to finally get me to realize that some aspects of the proposal needed to be left out!

I enjoyed the book, but I feel as if this book could have been published as a chapter in an anthology written by several writers. A book written by several contributing authors would contain more helpful tips and advice for writers. I noticed a few grammatical errors that another round of professional editing could have resolved. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the errors I detected. Budding authors will find the tips given in this book very helpful.

The Life and Lessons of a Young Author
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nice informative review of this book which tells about the experiences of a budding new writer and hope to read it soon.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

CambaReviewer wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 16:32 I understood the author’s account of the experience of editing a manuscript after getting feedback from some readers. It is not easy to critically edit and delete portions of a work which in the writer’s opinion is a masterpiece. I remember designing a very robust research protocol many years ago. It took several meetings with my supervisor and other lecturers to finally get me to realize that some aspects of the proposal needed to be left out!
This sounds like a really useful book about writing. I have learned in both my art and my writing that deleting unnecessary or redundant elements can really make a piece shine. I think I would really like this book. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I agree with your point on this book being suited to people who are new to the writing field. This book contains no-brainer tips on writing that I think a professional writer would know. Nice review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Thank you for your review, I had more objections but overall I agree with you.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”