Review by Vscholz -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Vscholz -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's book stinks, but why? He takes the reader on a tour of all the stains and smells, with each one getting worse and worse. He reveals that he has a secret stash of smelly socks, but realizes that there are worse smells than his socks.

The illustrations in Len Foley's Sigfried's Smelly Socks! are unique. They combine different types of visuals, from cartoon-like drawings to actual photos, which keeps it interesting because it changes with each page. This variety of illustrations could lose any sense of cohesion the text supplies, but the illustrations tie into one another. Most of the book is written with rhymes, but instead of it reading like a song, it flows as regular prose. However, the reader could make it into more of a song if he or she chooses.

Sigfried is a believable character—he keeps socks hidden underneath his bed, which is a popular hiding place children sometimes use for their toys or laundry when they are told to clean their room, and he has not taken the best care of his book. From baby Piper's disgusting diaper to stains left by food used as bookmarks, Sigfried's book offers the description of many odors without actually providing the smells themselves. However, book-lovers know that the most well-loved books are not in perfect condition—our favorite books are often abused from repeated use, and it is refreshing to see a children's book depicting a child with that level of devotion to a book.

I find no flaws within this story. Any questionable choices (Uncle Kato's disrespect of Sigfried's book, for example) are not to the detriment of the story; instead, it enhances the tale and makes it engaging for younger readers through the use of humor. The book itself does not exactly have a clear plot and it is never revealed what book Sigfried is reading, but it provides readers with lighthearted humor and could encourage parents and children to discuss the importance of cleanliness.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found no grammatical or punctuation errors. Even though Sigfried places blame on others for the odors found in his book, he takes responsibility for some of it, showing that he is humble and has a sense of humor.

The recommended age for this book is 3-7 years old, but I would suggest sharing this title with younger readers, if they are able to sit still long enough for it. The combination of rhyming lines and varied illustrations make the story interesting and silly. Children also frequently find “toilet” humor amusing, and this book certainly delivers on it.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I can almost smell Sigfried's socks - Lol. Nice review (I believe the book is a two pager).
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It was a charming book. I loved the ending. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”