Review by Monday Michael -- Illustrated Short Fiction of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monday Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monday-michael.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Monday Michael -- Illustrated Short Fiction of...

Post by Monday Michael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated short fictions by William H. coles

Illustrated short fictions by William H. coles is a book that contains some of Coles' work from 2000 to 2016.The book is made up over thirty six short fictional stories (including a novella titled Sister Carrie) with each story having it own theme. These stories comes with colourful illustrations to add to the mind pictures. The stories which include but not limited to The gift, The Thirteen Nudes of Ernest Goings (which happens to be favourite), Homunculus, Suchin's escape, The stonecutter, The Amish girl. Within the stories lies miseries, hatred,suspense, murder and lots more.

This is the second book of William H. coles that I have read. And if there is one thing I can say about his style of writing it will be the fact that his ability to describe every character and scenes is overwhelming and I love him for that. With vivid descriptions, he brings the reader's mind and attention to the scenes and plot of the story. William's writing is not one that you have to keep a dictionary by the side (except for little clinic jargon here and there).

After reading for some time, I had to go back to check the genre of this book again. the book is too real to be a fiction. The scenes were not exaggerated and anyone reading will just keep going with the flow of the stories without holding on to the idea that they are too good to be true. On the other hand, I just wish that the stories finished with different atmosphere: comedy, tragedy, comedy-tragedy and more. There shouldn't be the tragic ending always.

Furthermore, it got to a time, I already had the mindset that no matter how joyous or interesting the starting is, it will all come down to sadness, heartbreak, death and other tragic endings that concerns the particular story. Though, I had the mindset, I never had a clue when it will happen or who it will happen to. I guess that makes it more interesting

I, therefore recommend this book to all those who wishes to make their time worthwhile and enjoyable, as well as those who take real interest in sensible short fictions. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I feel a book with thirty six short stories should come with different atmosphere and impact. Also, I noticed few typos in the book. Regardless, this book to me is interesting and a time well spent.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Monday Michael's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

You are right this book was so realistic, I was almost heartbroken sometimes. Thank you for your review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”