Review by mratdegraff91 -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Review by mratdegraff91 -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming The Dragon by author Alex Sapegin

Becoming The Dragon
by author Alex Sapegin is the first book in its series. The novel is 178 pages long and is classified as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. It is an exciting book that takes readers into another world full of magic. This book was originally written in Russian and published in 2010 but has since then been translated and sold in English. This book would be appealing to anyone interested in Sci-Fi/Fantasy, dragons, magic, portal jumping, and new planets.

Andy is just your average sixteen-year-old boy trying to live a normal life. Things have been a little different for him ever since he was struck by lightning on a school trip. Now everything electronic malfunctions around him and he is not sure why. On his way to deliver something to his father at work, he stumbles into a science experiment and falls through a portal. He ends up in the world of Ilanta. After arriving, he is captured and then sold into slavery but not before accidentally freeing Karegar the Dragon and activating an ancient artifact. While in slavery he discovers hidden powers that he uses to attempt to regain his freedom. After being fatally wounded, he chooses to undergo an ancient ritual to become a dragon, a Master of Heaven. He will have to go a long way before settling into his new body and controlling his new power. Along the way, he meets new friends and discovers enemies. Little does he know that he is destined to play a part in an epic conflict that will affect the future of the planets he is now in and also his faraway home.

This novel had several things that really stuck out to me. One was the development of the main character, Andy, as he discovers more about himself in a new world. Another was the description of scenery, animals, and other beings. Then there was the fact that the story easily carries the reader away. Andy has so much occur after falling into a portal that one would question how they could manage if it had happened to them. He quickly adapts to what is happening in this new world and begins to embrace his new life.

I had a hard time picking something negative about this novel. I was surprised that there were not any grammatical errors throughout the book. This leads me to believe that the author had this novel professionally edited. If I had to find something though it would be the small lag the book had in the middle of the story where things seemed to be at a standstill for a short time, and it appeared somewhat dull. The storyline quickly picked back up soon though, and before I knew it, I was at the end.

With all the fantastic things I liked about this book and the lack of errors, I can easily say this book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author did an excellent job with this book, and I look forward to reading the other books in this series.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Firstly, I love the cover. The book sounds like a very well-written coming of age novel. Since it is a translation, I can imagine it must've done great in Russian, and I can only see it doing just as well in English. Thanks for a brilliant review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”