Review by jjmainor -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Review by jjmainor -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jjmainor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Fayman’s book, Superhighway, is the story of a young man who discovers an ability to dematerialize himself and travel through the digital network of the internet. While in this state, he can access and download information stored on various computers and servers, and even manipulate that data. It is an ability the young man, also called Alex, uses to steal wealth from those who obtained it illicitly. To satisfy his conscience, he uses much of the stolen wealth to fund charity efforts around the world, giving to other underprivileged people.

To me, the story was bogged down by the everyday, slice-of-life stuff. Details of his meals were important right up to the end. We were treated to constant shopping trips for clothes appropriate to his locations. When things became interesting, the narrative fell back into the ordinary, such as when he discovered others traveling through the net; they brought him back to their place for answers, but those answers were put on hold while they lounged about the house, then took a trip to a restaurant, then to a club.

Other adventures and dramatic moments were quickly resolved. Materializing in a hotel in Virginia, he was caught by security and talked his way out of it rather easily. In a later adventure, he materializes in the offices of a New York investment bank, running from their security up several floors and quickly finding another computer to use for escape. Even his capture by a Dutch mobster felt to me like it didn’t get the attention it deserved.

All the mundane activities served their purposes, providing the reader with insight into Alex’s character. Certainly audiences today appreciate such character development, and most readers won’t find fault with that, but for me, it went on a little too much. At the one-third point in the book, I was ready for the narrative to move on and focus more on his abilities and plant us firmly in the main story; but that didn’t seem to happen. What was more disappointing, when the plot and action really started to take off, the book abruptly ended. This was billed as the first in a series, so I knew there would be elements unresolved and carried over. Still, it felt a little jarring to me when I reached the end of this installment.

What made this book, in my opinion, was the narrative itself. Strangely enough, all the mundane, day-to-day stuff felt interesting. I was roped in and couldn’t put the book down. Fayman wasn’t the first author to do this to me, reminding me of the work of another American, C. Litka, who writes space opera with the same heavy emphasis on the mundane aspects of his main character’s life and adventures. What was more, while reading Superhighway, I was constantly reminded of a Ukrainian born author living in Israel. Nik Krasno also writes about a hard-luck case turned billionaire, focusing on the extravagance of the character’s new lifestyle. Even the style of writing felt similar and familiar.

Because I was looking for more action and more adventure derived from the hero’s superpower, I can’t give this story four stars. However, I can’t give it one or two stars because the story hooked me and wouldn’t let me go. For me, Superhighway rates a very solid 3 out of 4 stars.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like jjmainor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one too, and was greatly disappointed by it. I thought the premise was good, but that it was poorly executed. And Alex struck me as a self-absorbed jerk. It's hard to like a book when you have absolutely no sympathy for the "hero." But it's good to read reviews from different perspectives.
jjmainor

Post by jjmainor »

I was only disappointed with the way the story unfolded. I would have liked to see less of his every day life, less of him meeting people, less of him exploring different cities, and more of the adventures. The plot was interesting when he went on the heists, and I wish there was more of that.

With our hero, I guess I consider his age. He's supposed to be 18. Technically he's an adult, but the maturity level of an 18-year-old isn't supposed to be that high. It was believable that as soon as he gets some money, he starts blowing it on drugs and booze without any parental oversight to reign him in. A lot of times an author will write a teen hero, but treat them as if they've been around the block as it were. Fayman does it a little with his hero. For example when he contacts the lawyer to set up his trust, it wasn't believable that he's telling the lawyer the details of how he wants it structured. It should have been the lawyer offering him the suggestion. On the other hand, it was believable when the lawyer suggested investing the initial deposit to create a passive income and he turned it down believing 100% of the money should go to helping people and that he could steal more money whenever he wanted...it was completely in character with his age to assume he could pull off those capers indefinitely. ie., the invincibility factor.

I can generally parse aspects of a book, so despite the fact I wanted more out of the plot, I really enjoyed the storytelling. I really did have a hard time putting this down. Reading helps relax my mind and shuts me down when it's time for sleep, but when I tried to go to bed at the 1/3 point, I found myself unable to sleep, and quickly took this book back up, continuing on until 6 in the morning.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

From what I have seen the reviews of this book have been pretty consistent, great premise, poor delivery on the book. I think I will pass as I don't I will be able to relate to or even like the lead character and the way he acts. Thank you for your review!
jjmainor

Post by jjmainor »

Just reviewed Superhighway 2, and found the story to be tighter. To me, there was a perfect balance between his personal, disastrous life and the action his superpower should inspire. I thought the mix was ideal, and at no point did I wish he would stop writing about something and get to the story. If you read this book, and thought there was a good premise, I think the sequel will please readers a lot more.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”