Review by Harley-Panda -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Review by Harley-Panda -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Harley-Panda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit is a fictional novel which follows the life of Darwin Hastings, a young man who has been sent to live with his new guardian. Darwin is an orphan and, after his aunt becomes terminally ill, he is sent to live with his closest living relative, Luther, who happens to be a famous football player in New York. Darwin’s father was a doctor and Darwin wishes to follow in his footsteps, however, he realises that this dream may be more difficult than originally thought. Darwin is a very talented and gifted young man who performs highly in school, but Darwin finds it is often difficult for healthcare to be altruistic as much of the work and research revolves around money. This is not what Darwin had anticipated and makes him wonder about his life goals and how he will be able to achieve them.

The story follows Darwin, his friends, and his cousin Luther, as they grow and find love. There are many interesting characters in this novel, including staff members who work for Luther and neighbours of Luther’s estate. Each character has their own stories and choices to make in life, which often intertwine with one another to create a vibrant storyline.

I enjoyed reading this novel as the storyline was interesting and there were many unexpected turns in the characters’ lives. Many of the characters in the story were relatable, which made me eager to continue reading to find out what would happen to them next. However, I do feel that there were some loose ends which were incomplete at the end of the book. Also, there were some large storylines which were not revisited even though I feel it would have affected the characters enough to perhaps change their outlook or behaviour. Due to this, I would give this novel 2 out of 4 stars.

The chapters of this novel were quite short, with some only 1-2 pages long. This can be beneficial at times to help you keep your place, however it did mean the story often jumped from scene to scene quite quickly without going into very much detail. Furthermore, I found around 10 errors within the novel. This included typos, like "confidant" instead of "confident", and characters’ names being spelt wrong, such as "Sweeny" rather than "Sweeney". Also, there were some errors in punctuation such as 2 full stops being used to finish a sentence, a missing space between sentences and missing speech marks on more than one occasion.

Overall, Guardian of Deceit is a story which I would recommend to others. This is because I feel that reading about the struggle and the journey of the characters could help a person to reflect on their own life. However, the novel could have been improved with further editing and proofreading. Also, I would have enjoyed the end of the story more if there were updates about earlier characters rather than the characters just disappearing from the story altogether.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Harley-Panda's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

It sounds like a decent story, therefore, it is unfortunate that there were so many loose ends and editing mistakes. Thanks for a good and detailed review.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

Sicily Joy wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:51 It sounds like a decent story, therefore, it is unfortunate that there were so many loose ends and editing mistakes. Thanks for a good and detailed review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review :)
The main storyline was great, and still made for a good read, but it just seemed to slip a little towards the end, unfortunately.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”