Review by tendwa -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tendwa
Favorite Book: The last Assassination
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tendwa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by tendwa -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by tendwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a very engaging book. This book looks at the family of Doctor A.J. MacMiel. A.J. MacMiel a powerful figure at a University’s Hospital Department; he was expected to be the next president of the Academy.

The Spirit of Want starts by bringing in the picture A.J.’s colleague Doctor Luke, who was invited by A.J. to a party of donors for a new Eye Institute. Luke meets A.J.’s wife Agnes and A.J.’s daughters Lucy and Elizabeth. From the meeting, it was evident that each daughter of A.J. had a unique way of interacting with people. Lucy was arrogant and hard to deal with but Elizabeth was reasonable and considerate. As fate would have it, Luke had to get a ride back to his place from Lucy! Lucy was a lady who was obviously in a self-destruction mode. Lucy never liked to be told what to do by anyone; she refused Luke to drive, despite her being drunk. Lucy drove her red Porsche beyond the required speed limit, eventually she caused an accident; this accident brought Luke and Lucy closer. Luke and Lucy got married.

Lucy a lawyer got an opportunity to be a lead defense in a case where an evangelist was accused of rape. Hower Bain the accused evangelist was a very hard to deal with person, this required Lucy to pay frequent visit at the Apostolic Church of Christ compound where Hower Bain was based. This led Lucy to fall in love with this complicated client of has. Love got the better of Lucy, she forgot about her husband Luke and kid Jennifer. Hower Bain was found guilty, an appeal was made. During that period, Hower Bain fled to Africa. Lucy’s love for Hower Bain was too strong, she couldn’t resist it; she followed Hower Bain to Africa. In Africa someone didn’t like her presence. Lucy was poisoned. She ran back to Atlanta for her dear life, but the damage was already done. Lucy’s world started falling apart, being a member of A.J.’s family; Lucy’s challenges drew in all the family members.

What I liked about this book was the emotional connection I had towards the characters. You just feel being part of what was going on. The best way of describing how a reader feels connected to characters within this book is, “a reader can’t help it but just finds him/herself being like those nosy neighbours who know everything about other neighbours”. I also liked the way this book was structured; at the beginning of each chapter, there is an indication of the character in focus. This makes it very easy to follow the story from the first chapter to the last. Something I also found interesting about this book was, whenever medical situations were pointed out; they were considerably described making it possible for non-medics to understand (understand? I mean follow). For example Jennifer’s ALL (Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia) and Lucy’s kidney failure.

This book has been done in a way that readers cannot easily predict what is ahead. A situation like where Luke was threatened by A.J., after Luke refused to tell A.J what their committee had found out on him; as a reader I could not tell what was going to happen to Luke. Another unpredictable situation was; after Hower Bain fled to Africa it was not possible for me to tell in advance if he could have managed to get back to Georgia. After Lucy had never been close to Jennifer it was also hard to tell how Jennifer would have reacted towards her.

What I did not like about this book was, finding a problem! I really looked for a problem within and about this book but I did not come up with any. I had to reread some sections of this book but to no avail. The second thing I found problematic about this book was, having fully connected with characters within the book, it was hard to see the book come to an end. It is the kind of book you hope you never reach the end.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, it has very few typos, it is professionally edited. It is hard to believe that it is a fiction book, it sounds more real than real stories. I recommend this book to anyone going on a vocation or having a long trip. Medics would enjoy reading this book; it brings out the dynamics of working in a medical environment. A lawyer would also find this book fascinating; it highlights the highs and lows of the legal profession.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like tendwa's review? Post a comment saying so!

tendwa
Favorite Book: The last Assassination
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tendwa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by tendwa »

Thank you. Fozia-Bajwa

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”