Review by sharkyjen998 -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by sharkyjen998 -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by sharkyjen998 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guilt" by David Taylor Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guilt by David Taylor Black is a thrilling and action-packed mystery book full of twists and turns that are sure to keep the reader on edge.

As the story begins, the reader is immediately thrown into the middle of a violent and disturbing crime. Black skillfully changes the reader’s point of view to help ensure they have a very detailed and unique perspective on this critical situation. As the novel shifts to the main character, Dan, and his perspective, the reader is met with a glaringly contradictory character in a contradicting situation. Dan, who is married but separated, is in the beautiful Bahamas conveniently named “Hope Town”. His visit, however, is right in the middle of hurricane season, and Dan is attempting to write about the very grim cholera outbreak. When he inadvertently stumbles upon a murdered victim’s body, he becomes trapped in a swirling vortex of the town’s chaos.

One of the greatest aspects of this book is the author’s ability to put the reader directly into the character’s shoes. It’s so easy to become lost and consumed in the character’s thoughts, and you can really empathize with each character’s motivations.

Do you ever get the feeling that something is off about someone or something, but you just can’t place your finger on it? Observant readers will enjoy picking up on subtle foreshadowing, clues to the mystery, and small details that might be overlooked due to the character’s lack of focus on them.

This book has some aspects that are particularly dark. Dan, who visits the cholera cemetery nearly every day, once comments about how these victims were “with time, forgotten as individuals.” I wouldn’t recommend this book for anyone who struggles with depression or dislikes such nihilistic viewpoints. There are also some graphic parts of the novel that wouldn’t be appropriate for younger audiences. I would, however, recommend this book for anyone who has experienced abuse by a psychopath.

One of the characters has a near-sociopathic ability to manipulate situations, feign emotions, lie, steal, and disregard other’s feelings. The charade this character creates is very reminiscent of real-world psychopathic abuse, but these serious topics are tackled in a fictional scenario in this book. It can be helpful for victims to see how easily it is to fall into believing the shams of a disordered individual.

I rate Guilt 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are dynamic, the story is intriguing but calculated, and the writing appears to be professionally edited. I would read this book again!

Guilt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like sharkyjen998's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Earlier i had read a review about this book and found new view inside the story from a new perspective . Hope you enjoyed this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

The author’s ability to put the reader directly into the character’s shoes is quite commendable.Nice review.Good job.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review! I loved reading your thoughts on the book's dark side and the psychopathic abilities in fictional characters.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I love books that are professionally edited.I admire your narrative style.Nice review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Yes! I totally agree with you! This books is amazing and got me hooked until the end! Thank you for your review!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love action-packed mystery books that start with a bang and are full of twists and turns that are sure to keep the reader on edge. only the 'dark aspects' and graphic parts of the book, make me hesitate in picking it up. Thank for the very interesting review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much, you can read it again!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I suspected his might be a decent book based on the title and cover; I love a good, dark thriller. And it sounds from your excellent review that this one fits the bill!
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Was the cholera outbreak in the Bahamas?
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 14:30 Was the cholera outbreak in the Bahamas?
Yes, but in a past era :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really interesting premise for a novel. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to give it such a high rating.
merrybones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrybones.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by merrybones »

Very well written review; I can only hope to be so eloquent. I just finished reading Guilt and was swept away by it. Compelling and unsettling, I was just as frustrated with Dan's situation as Dan himself was. That's when you know you've got a fantastic character. As for editing, there were some typos that I had to stop and correct in my mind, which would temporarily throw me out of the story, but I would get caught right back up again since I had to know what was going to happen next. Definitely worth picking up.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Nice review!!! I liked how you talked about the contradictions in the character, the place and the situation. This is one of the things that strikes the reader early on! Enjoyed the story, but thought it was quite frustrating that Daniel took so long to guess the identity of the killer.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”