Review by Ruba Abu Ali -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Review by Ruba Abu Ali -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "You, The People" by Pablo Digenio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality,’ said Edgar Allan Poe. I thought you could shut the book closed amidst a nerve-wrecking page and come back to it at your convenience. This is not the case with this book, though. I stuck through its horrendous journeys, clueless to what would come next. You, The People by Pablo Digenio compiles six horrific short stories which keep you at your tiptoes till the last moment.

The protagonists are nothing but human. From their dark sides stem the demons. The cruelty and gore would make maintaining one’s calm a miracle. Neither fairy tales nor happy endings have a place in this book.

The title of the book mocked me into thinking it might be political. But the author was referring to the people whose stories he had brought to life. These are ordinary people on the outside but indulgent in their twisted dark realities to the core. The characters, the setting, the feel, and the psychological atmosphere were diverse and variable among the stories.

I liked the fleshed-out characters and the realistic dialogue. Several moments were humane and authentic. The stories were woven in a way I could see them turned into a motion picture. I was rather living the stories than reading them. The writing was so brilliant I was often incapable of contemplating the turn of events. The illustrations at the beginning of each story were beautiful.

That being said, the book is not for the faint-hearted. I did not like the inconsolable cruelty and gore. In one story, the hideous details were so overpowering that I had to halt and catch my breath.

The sentences sounded awkward at times although not faulty. They needed rearrangement to become more readable. I also encountered some grammatical and typographical errors. A round of editing would make it top-notch. Until then, I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

This read has been neither tedious nor ordinary. I had to give myself a few days between consummating the book and starting the review, to regain my composure. I would recommend this book to readers seeking a unique and creepy experience long as they do not mind the gore and blood. People offended by the gruesome details and fellows younger than 18 years should give it a second thought before approaching this book. Fasten your seat belts fellow readers, for you are embarking on a racy ride culminating with the protagonists’ sinister fate.

You, The People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your very descriptive, vivid, and captivating review.

You're right in stating that the graphic and abhorring details making up the book could indeed become difficult to read, especially for someone like me whose preference is a feel good story with a happier ending. I admire your ability to get through something that would have taken you off your seat but had to remain in as you felt still compelled to finish, and do the work enough justice with pomp in your review. There also are harsh realities in life that may be so horrifying or gruesome at some points, but it's in knowing and sharing them as you (and the author did) that we get to appreciate goodness and going for what's right, too. You've surely done a great work!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This is definitely not my kind of book. Thanks for the vivid and interesting review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Thank you for the detailed review! I think I will pass due to the fact that parts were so horrifying you had to stop for a bit. I don't typically mind a little gore or horror but this sounds like a lot for me.
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Espie wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 17:20 Thank you for your very descriptive, vivid, and captivating review.

You're right in stating that the graphic and abhorring details making up the book could indeed become difficult to read, especially for someone like me whose preference is a feel good story with a happier ending. I admire your ability to get through something that would have taken you off your seat but had to remain in as you felt still compelled to finish, and do the work enough justice with pomp in your review. There also are harsh realities in life that may be so horrifying or gruesome at some points, but it's in knowing and sharing them as you (and the author did) that we get to appreciate goodness and going for what's right, too. You've surely done a great work!
I appreciate your input. This book has definitely been out of my league, but I am glad I've read it. The author has been very courageous in shedding light on some critical issues in a unique way. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment and for stopping by. 😊
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Abigail R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 23:01 Thank you for the detailed review! I think I will pass due to the fact that parts were so horrifying you had to stop for a bit. I don't typically mind a little gore or horror but this sounds like a lot for me.
I agree. This book isn't everyone's cup of tea. It takes guts and stamina to finish it, and as you do that you struggle with mental and physical pain.Thanks for your comment. 😊
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cotwani wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 17:33 This is definitely not my kind of book. Thanks for the vivid and interesting review!
Thank you for the kind comment and for stopping by! 😊
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Thank you for your review! I can read gore and cruelty, but it's not often my first choice. Nonetheless, it does sound like a very interesting read.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 14:22 Thank you for your review! I can read gore and cruelty, but it's not often my first choice. Nonetheless, it does sound like a very interesting read.
This book makes a very interesting and out-of-the-ordinary read. I highly recommend it. Thanks for passing by! 🙂
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I agree that the title seems out of place for the "horrible" experience. Would "You, The Monsters" be more fitting?

I actually like Stephen King, so maybe I can endure this book.

Thanks for the vivid review; it felt like viewing a 4D-film. Boo!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 06:14 I agree that the title seems out of place for the "horrible" experience. Would "You, The Monsters" be more fitting?

I actually like Stephen King, so maybe I can endure this book.

Thanks for the vivid review; it felt like viewing a 4D-film. Boo!
I agree whole-heartedly with the title you suggested. I believe you will endure and enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the lovely words! 😊
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Thanks for the review. I agree with you that the title quite misleading, I also think it's an interesting book. I'll give it a try.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 08:48 Thanks for the review. I agree with you that the title quite misleading, I also think it's an interesting book. I'll give it a try.
It is a unique book. I hope you'd give it a try and enjoy reading it. Thanks for your comment. :)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Book sounds perfect to read close to Halloween. I love thrillers but not with a lot of gore. Thinking about trying it anyways. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 22:46 Book sounds perfect to read close to Halloween. I love thrillers but not with a lot of gore. Thinking about trying it anyways. Thank you for the review.
It would be congruent with the psychological atmosphere of Halloween anyway. :D Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”