Review by Aditi1992 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Will...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Aditi1992 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Will...

Post by Aditi1992 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles, 2000–2016 is a literary collection with unconventional and morally gray narrators that only scratches the surface of its true potential. Sometimes it’s like a snapshot, other times a little more expanded. I was thrilled that for a short story collection it is quite long! (over 500 pages) and honestly I marvel at the fact that just one man wrote all of these.

From the story of a young Chinese girl forced to sell her body to that of a stagnant small town where people rarely leave, the collection features over thirty stories of varying lengths, two graphic novels, and one novella, that span American life across generations and experiences. In the story, The Necklace, a couple is trying to find the rhythm of their relationship while they travel to India. They know how much they love each other, but they are uncertain about their future. However, tragedy befalls another couple; they realize how deep their feelings are for each other. I also loved the novella in which a pretty teenager falls in love with an Iranian boy. Life throws challenges in her way where she gets stuck between choosing a better life for her child or to support her husband . The Dilemma was pretty intense and emotional and I felt deeply for the characters.

What I loved most about the book is that the lead characters are not always ideal but their role is completely suited according to their story. The author, without doubt, did justice to the book by bringing forth the real-time issue with every story. He wrote the book with complete clarity which is rare to find in authors these days.

However, while most of the stories spoke to my heart, there were several others which failed to motivate me to complete them. There were few stories where I felt no connection whatsoever. Some did not have satisfactory ending ,whereas, some were stretched unnecessarily. The least appealing part of the book is that in the end there are two graphic novels which are already written as stories in the book. I do not think that explaining the same story in graphic form later was necessary.

Overall I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are some stories which have a complicated plot and deal with violence and pain. However, the book is exciting with some wonderful works and amazing characters. There are some grammatical errors but they are very few and they do not break the flow. I do not rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because that will not do justice to the book as all the stories have the unique plot and a unique conflict driving it.

I would recommend this book to adults who love to read about complex issues with rare happy endings. Those who are under 18 must keep away from reading it because of its creepy content and violence.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Aditi1992's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Thank you for your trigger warning, and I'm curious about the book after reading your review. All the stories you mentioned, sounds really interesting to me. I'm especially curious about the couple who travel to India, because that's my native land! Great review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oogies »

I like the way you summarized this book! I had to review the same book and reading through your review has given me some things that I can improve on in my next review :-) I must say that I have been struggling through writer's block the last couple of months, it's fun to read reviews that give me some inspiration for the next review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Thank you for your review! I've read this collection too. Μy favorite was "The Miracle of Madame Villard"! It's true some stories didn't make sense to me like "the bear" did you understand this story?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”