Review by Rosebella -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Review by Rosebella -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Rosebella »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of The Surgeon’s Wife by William. H. Coles

When I decided to pick this book for my next read, I was coming off the high of reading Illustrated Short Fiction of William. H. Coles 2000-2016. I loved how he had woven the characters into moral quagmires. Each story was unique and I was left wondering what I would have done in similar circumstances. Before I embarked on reading the book, I already had in the back of my mind the author’s style of writing. I wanted to see if this book would rile up similar emotions in me.

The Surgeon’s wife by William. H. Coles is the story of Mike Boudreaux. A trauma surgeon and the Chief of service in a hospital in New Orleans. The story starts off when he is called in to aid in a surgery being conducted by Clayton Otherson because something goes wrong and the patient nearly bleeds out. Clayton is his former Professor and mentor during training. A man partly responsible for where he is in his profession. Clayton's ability to perform successful surgeries has slowly become impaired. After a report is presented, Mike is put in the precarious position of having to put surgical limitations on him. He struggles with this decision because as the Chief of service he holds a duty of care to the patients. At the same time, he still wants to maintain his loyalty to his mentor.

In the hospital, the opposition against Clayton’s Bariatric surgeries for obese patients is growing. They are seen as unnecessary and geared more towards profit. Despite Mike agreeing with that stance, Clayton continues to do them unabated. Over time he continues to find ways to flaunt the rules imposed on him. In the end, he loses a patient and this ends his career. Instead of; accepting his mistakes, he continues to blame Mike for all his troubles. This becomes more profound when Mike begins an affair with his wife, Catherine. In retaliation, he sues the hospital citing their affair as proof that his termination was biased. During the affair, Catherine loses her seat in a notable society and her teenage daughter runs away. Clayton remains determined to ensure she gets nothing in the divorce. This puts a heavy strain on Catherine and Mike’s relationship. Mostly because of Catherine’s inability to let go of the safety net that is Clayton’s wealth.

This book is reflective of the author’s writing style and motivations. He never lets his characters have it easy.
They constantly faced tough challenges. The characters are likable, and I could relate with what they were going through. The story was reflective of what most people in prominent careers face. The families and relationships taking a back seat to their careers most of the time. I liked how the author brought out issues sometimes faced by aging professionals as was the case with Clayton. He refuses to accept his failures and, has no desire to understand any new aspect of his life. The book had a few characters but the one that stood out for me was Hellen Rappaport. A young woman who had been beaten up, raped and on drugs. She is rescued from this life and enrolled in a rehab. Hellen uses that opportunity to turn her life around. All this is taken away after, she undergoes the Bariatric surgery at the insistence of her mother. A surgery Clayton carries out despite Mike citing how unnecessary it would be. This character for me I felt stole the heart of the story.

The book contained a few medical terms which added to the authenticity of the story. As a reader with no medical background, I did have to pause a lot to decipher their meanings. Each of the struggles faced by the characters is understandable and made sense but, the pronouncement of Catherine’s feelings for Mike does not. It seems rushed, and Mike’s response is questionable. He seems to go to from zero to a hundred in terms of his devotion for her, in a short time. As a reader who loves the romance genre, I felt surprised and disappointed all at the same time. There was no leading up to that point, so it didn’t make any sense at all.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because while the story of Mike and Clayton’s professional struggles made sense, the love story did not. It felt like something quickly put together and inserted in there to add volume to the story. I struggled with giving the book such a low rating because I do love medical dramas. I would have rated it 3.5 out of 4 stars had it been possible. This is a heartbreaking story that highlights moral issues about wealth and poverty and, how neither can determine how much you can achieve. In the 182 pages, the author tells the story with just enough detail to capture your attention. A feat the author continues to do well in all his stories. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves TV medical dramas. Readers who want to see characters deal with real-life problems and have not so happy endings then this is the book for you.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Rosebella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

That's heartbreaking to hear about a surgeon who begins struggling with his duties. That is certainly a moral quagmire. I'll have to read this one. Thank you for your review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Thanks for the insightful review. Having reviewed this book myself, I appreciate several points you have raised. It would be lovely if you could have a look at my review. Thanks :)
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Nice review. I really liked this story. The only thing I didn't enjoy about it was how rushed Mike and Catherine's relationship felt.
Rosebella
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosebella »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 21:24 That's heartbreaking to hear about a surgeon who begins struggling with his duties. That is certainly a moral quagmire. I'll have to read this one. Thank you for your review!
hope you enjoy. :tiphat:
–Stephen King

–Ernest Hemingway

–Mason Cooley
Rosebella
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosebella »

prospero360 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 11:48 Nice review. I really liked this story. The only thing I didn't enjoy about it was how rushed Mike and Catherine's relationship felt.
thank you
–Stephen King

–Ernest Hemingway

–Mason Cooley
Rosebella
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosebella »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 04:59 Thanks for the insightful review. Having reviewed this book myself, I appreciate several points you have raised. It would be lovely if you could have a look at my review. Thanks :)
Okay, :tiphat: :D
–Stephen King

–Ernest Hemingway

–Mason Cooley
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I enjoyed reading the review; I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”