Review by Yssimnar -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Review by Yssimnar -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Yssimnar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The purpose of the book, Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William E. Combs, is to analyze the Garden-of-Eden story and sermonize about the basics of Christianity. To engage the reader and to show his interpretation of Genesis, Combs embellishes the experiences of Adam and Eve by portraying them in historical-novel form while interjecting his thoughts. After this treatment, Combs, a retired Presbyterian minister, discusses various topics such as the following: how to recognize the Word of God, faith versus works, God speaking to us today, the purpose of suffering, Satan creating opposition, God’s rest as a reward, and how to read the Bible correctly. To promote contemplation, gospel topics are summarized in questions at the end of each chapter.

Because the author’s philosophy is based on his scriptural interpretation, I have to wonder how much he is getting wrong. His logic is based on his personal experiences and beliefs, but how might an ancient Hebrew person living 3000 years ago view the same story? There aren’t many qualifiers discussing how logic today might be different than the logic of ancient peoples.

The most mind-blowing theory is that after receiving the commandment himself, Adam, not God, gave Eve the command to abstain from eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Because he was worried about Eve, Adam addended the commandment from God to include abstinence from even touching the fruit. This was an effort to keep her so far from disobedience, that Adam wouldn’t worry about Eve forgetting. When the serpent convinces her that she can touch it and nothing will happen, Eve loses belief that eating it will make her die. This portrayal got me thinking about how we often create rules that are exaggerated out of fear which may be destructive to people’s trust.

I didn’t like the use of underlining, italics, and, at one place, bold print. The need to use these elements seemed unnecessary because they were overused. At the end of almost every scripture, Combs notes that the emphasis was added. I would have liked a more concise use of scripture or an explanation of the significance parts. On a personal note, I didn’t like the explanation that women get their self-esteem from bearing children and being connected to a husband who can provide for his family by "the sweat of his brow". There are plenty of other sources of confidence for childless women. Also, it is mildly disconcerting that the interpretations are worded with such authority.

Because the book was so thought-provoking and original, I want to give it 3 out of 4 stars. If the reader is approaching it as an interesting interpretation to consider, they will love reading it. Because the whole book is built on the premise that the Bible is true and without error, a non-believer won’t find much value reading it.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yssimnar's review? Post a comment saying so!
:wink:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

"Because the author’s philosophy is based on his scriptural interpretation, I have to wonder how much he is getting wrong. His logic is based on his personal experiences and beliefs, but how might an ancient Hebrew person living 3000 years ago view the same story? There aren’t many qualifiers discussing how logic today might be different than the logic of ancient peoples."
This is an excellent point. Whenever we read books that attempt to interpret religious scriptures or beliefs, we have to realize that there are always multiple sides to the story, since different people, from different cultures and different eras are likely to have a different take on it. I enjoyed your review!
Yssimnar

Post by Yssimnar »

Dael Reader wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 08:45 "Because the author’s philosophy is based on his scriptural interpretation, I have to wonder how much he is getting wrong. His logic is based on his personal experiences and beliefs, but how might an ancient Hebrew person living 3000 years ago view the same story? There aren’t many qualifiers discussing how logic today might be different than the logic of ancient peoples."
This is an excellent point. Whenever we read books that attempt to interpret religious scriptures or beliefs, we have to realize that there are always multiple sides to the story, since different people, from different cultures and different eras are likely to have a different take on it. I enjoyed your review!
Thank you for the thoughtful comment!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I don't understand the need for unnecessary formatting in books such as these. It's like emphasising a particular point, rather than the whole book. I'm not interested in a spiritual book, so I'll pass. But I love your analysis, great work!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Yssimnar

Post by Yssimnar »

Fuzaila wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:07 I don't understand the need for unnecessary formatting in books such as these. It's like emphasising a particular point, rather than the whole book. I'm not interested in a spiritual book, so I'll pass. But I love your analysis, great work!
I agree! Thanks for the comment and glad I could help!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book really refreshes the thought on Garden of Eden and make the reader rethink about its revelations
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”