Review by Jenndaviskidmin10 -- Sigfried’s Smelly S...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jenndaviskidmin10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenndaviskidmin10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Jenndaviskidmin10 -- Sigfried’s Smelly S...

Post by Jenndaviskidmin10 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I gave Sigfried’s Smelly Socks 4 out of 4 stars. I think boys will love this book! Throughout the book my nose delightfully wrinkled at the thought of all the smells from Sigfried’s smelly socks. Weak stomaches beware, your nose and your stomach may groan at the thoughts of the terrible smells in this book! Rotten bananas, turnip clumps, moldy waffles, pee, dirty diapers, and boogers will have children and adults making faces throughout the story.

Sigfried has a problem. His book stinks! He needs to find the reason for his smelly book, and he has so many guesses! So many stinky things have touched the book, and any of them could be the culprit! However, as people often do, Sigfried’s mind wanders to other stinky smells he has experienced. Sigfried has a lot of socks, and every sock stinks! Unique smells are found throughout the story, and the socks lead to Uncle Kato and his strange food smells. The story concludes with the delightful rabbit trail of smells being cleaned in a delightfully gross manner.

Little boys love gross, and this book will not disappoint. Sigfried’s family and dog have made a mess of his book! Smells of favorite foods have caused some funny smells in this book. Additionally, bodily functions abound as Sigfried shows off all the terrible smells on the book. Children will relate well as they consider the smells mentioned on the book. Anyone who has been in a car used often by a small child can relate to smells of food that have been dropped and forgotten. Uncle Kato and his unique food smells will make kids groan as they remember their own unique relatives.

For children, family is relatable. Sigfried’s family helps enhance the fragrant assault on the senses. The dog spot has peed on the book, brother Simon picked his nose and left a booger (gross!), and sister Piper has wiped her dirty diaper on the book. Once the conversation turns to socks, Uncle Kato’s strange food likes take precedent. I think Uncle Kato is a delightful character. He is clumsy enough to spill all sorts of crazy foods, and leaves a terrible smell because of the foods he drops. Most families have an eccentric family member who may or may not have unique smells, so I think this should be pretty relatable.

This nasal adventure ends with the need to clean the smelly socks, but once again, Sigfried’s methods will leave parents groaning and smiling at the same time. The beauty of Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is the reliability to real life. Almost every parent has experienced overwhelming smells and kids being incredibly creative when trying to help.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jenndaviskidmin10's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”